Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which laptop

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 01:12 PM
STi VII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a small budget of £600 what laptop should I go for? I'm not looking for a huge screen as it has to be lightweight. What features should I expect and any makes to avoid?
Old 19 December 2003, 01:33 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
You will struggle to do better than Dell. Take a look at the web site. They have some incredibly well featured laptops for that kind of money. Connectivity is key with laptops, naturally, so look for Bluetooth, wi-fi, 10/100 network card and preferably USB 2.0 ports instead of 1.1

A cd writer is handy too, and if you take a lot of trains and planes, a dvd player.
Old 19 December 2003, 01:42 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take a look at Samsungs, just bought my sister one from ebuyer - P4 2.4, 512mb ram, 32gb hdd, DVD/CDrw, 15inch sceen , vid out , XP Home - £850 on your doorstep - its really nice, but at that price theyve sold out twice since I looked
Old 19 December 2003, 02:18 PM
Nick1
Scooby Regular

I have one I will be putting on eBay after christmas, if you are interested you can buy it. Its a (VERY LIGHT) Dell Latitude C400 Win XP Pro SP1a, 12.1" screen 1024 x 768 resolution 866 Mhz PIII Mobile processor 512MB RAM, 30GB HDD DVD ROM and Floppy modules (Seperate from chassis) Current Dell Next Business Day On-Site warranty until Dec 12 2004. I have had this from new and it is in A1 conditional with all manuals disks etc. I have just upgraded to a new Latitude as I needed more power for a huge .NET development project I am doing. I am looking for £450, this will suite anyone who doesn't want to play games on it and doesnt need high power or a lage screen resolution.
Old 19 December 2003, 05:23 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I ve worked along side Dell for 4 years now and they are very good company - The Latitude d serice is the new kid on the block and will be around for along time, so you should say this if you find an old C serice ( still a good buy, and parts will be around for a while still)

but for a cheap laptop I would try and find a Dell inspiron, quality is still first class and and you can get allot for your money compaired to a Latitde - these are cheaper as dell swap and change the components in each batch which is no good to a large company who want a standard spec, so the for a one off buy they are superb. Watch it if you buy one second hand, they came with 1 or 3 years warrenty

as for the L400.. its the tart of laptops, looks very swish but its not a laptop I would want to use every day

as for other companys - Toshiba, sony, IBM, HP ( company after market share and are offering good deals at the momment with a excelent product, be wary of older models)

Don't stary from the 5 companies above and you will be fine, be I wouldn't go near any other as the above will knock spots of them all
Old 19 December 2003, 06:03 PM
Nick1
Scooby Regular

The only comment I can say about Sony laptops is the build quality, I have seen many of these fall apart fairly quickly, they are pretty though, so it depends on what you want.
Old 20 December 2003, 01:46 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

to be honest I ve never had much do do with sony, apart from a Doctor took his laptop to the top of some big mountain and his Dell laptop failed, something to do with the altitude so Dell bought the chap a Sony as it was tested at this hight

the laptop was ok much better than most but would agree may be not as good as the other 4

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 12/20/2003 1:47:52 AM]