Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anybody else had problems with there Radeon 9600 Pro ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2003, 12:00 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently upgraded my graphics card from my old GF2 GTS to a brand new Radeon 9600 Pro.Now during games like BF1942 and C&C Generals the PC freezes and throws me back to the desktop, where an ATI warning meesage tells me that the VPU has been reset or somthing to that effect.
I have tried all the normal routes like uninstalling drivers updating to the latest drivers, flashing the BIOS but still no joy
Is it just me or has anybody else experienced these problems ?

Simon
Old 05 December 2003, 12:06 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

simon as i mentioned in the other thread check out the Oc Uk forums.

loads of people on there.....posting all day about grafix cards and issues with cards / drivers / games etc etc etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk
Old 05 December 2003, 12:09 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I'd disable the VPU reset m8, it causes loads of problems. In fact I personally went back to the Cat 3.7's over the buggy crappola 3.9's.
Old 05 December 2003, 12:15 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I have just searched on the internet to see if this was a unique problem but by the looks of it loads of people have been having the same issues.Not only with the 9600 Pro but also with the 9800.Looks like I should have stayed with my GF2 !!!
Old 05 December 2003, 12:15 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

BTW it is pretty difficult to completely uninstall any Cat drivers, even the new 3.9's which have n uninstaller built in. Try using Driver Cleaner and install the Omega Catalyst 3.7's.

I've never had any problems with Omega's drivers and he is well respected in the ATI community. GL

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

http://www.driverheaven.net/downloads/index4.htm

[Edited by Jye - 12/5/2003 12:15:55 PM]
Old 05 December 2003, 01:56 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I'm having the same problem with my 9600XT, SmartDoctor kept saying the fan had failed and shut it down. However, when I opened the side of my PC, the fan was happily spinning away!

I'v uninstalled SmartDoctor and have installed the latest Asus Video drivers (ver 7.95 01/12/2003) and I'll see how it goes

Geezer
Old 05 December 2003, 08:58 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Simon,
Here's ehat I did and what results I got, hope they are helpful.

Installed the Asus specific drivers - no change.

Downloaded the Omega cleaner and the Omega drivers, and followed the instructions. It was a bit of a ball ache becuase you have to uninstall everything, and then fix it in safe mode in Windows, but it seems to work ok.

Once I'd installed the Omega Catalyst stuff (as opposed to the kosher ATi stuff), the card performed fine, better than with the old drivers.

However, when I ran 3DMark2001SE, it crashed because I didn't have the refresh rate on my TFT set properly, so that's one to look out for! Unfortunately that seemed to knacker up the whole set up and I had to de-install and go threu the whole process again.

Once I was up and running and had all the settings correct, it all worked fine, got a higher score than previously in 2001SE and could also run Aquamark3, which would not run previously.

When I came to run 3DMark03, it did exactly the same, bombed straight away, so I was a little peed off at that point!

Went to the futuremark website, and had a look at their forum for 3DMark03, which was very, they had people who had similar problems, and the suggested fix (as well as updating all your drivers) was to patch 3DMark03 up to version 340.

I did this and ran the test, and it worked perfectly, job's a good 'un!

Hope you have a similar success.

link for version 340 is 3DMark03 340

Geezer