Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

56K Modem

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 11:22 AM
lightning
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like a complete numpty adding this thread but I cannot get my laptop to connect to the internet using the inbuilt 56k modem. I have just moved into a new house and do not have broadband anymore.

At first I got a message saying "no dial tone detected" but there is a dial tone as I have a phone connected into the same circuit. The next thing I did was uncheck the "wait for dial tone" in the modem properties but it still won't dial. I have also checked that the modem is correctly plugged in (just in case anyone asks) and it is fine. I have the modem speaker on but cannot hear anything. When I select "pulse dial" I can hear it dial but the pulse dialing isn't recognised.

I have had the PC a year and have used to connect to the web using the modem, a usb adsl modem, through a ethernet router (at a mates place) and through a wireless card (at a mates place). Until now it has worked every time.

I have removed the wireless card, uninstalled the ADSL modem drivers and disabled the firewire and ethernet ports. The modem still won't tone dial/connect! I have also removed and reinstalled the modem but still no joy. I have checked the interupts and com port allocations and there are not errors or conflicts.

If anyone has any advice that can help me to get this bloody thing to work it would be greatly appreciated. The PC is a Toshiba 5105-S501. Thanks in advance.

Old 03 December 2003, 10:41 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Try this. Go to control panel, phone and modem, click on modems tab, properties, advanced, look to see if x3 is written in extra settings. If not, type it in there then click on OK, then try the modem again. I had the same problem and was told to try the above advice and it worked for me.

Cheers,

George.
Old 09 December 2003, 04:46 PM
lightning
Scooby Regular

George,

I will give this a go tonight. If this works you are an absolute legend. By the way I am an Aussie living in the UK (orginally from Brisbane).

is you PC a Toshiba as well?

Cheers, Robert