Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use SuSE Linux?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 03:01 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuSE 8.2 is one of my main desktops at home.

Your version is a little old now, but you should have no issues with it if the machine its going on isn't brand new or full of microsoft complacient hardware.

Hope your not installing it just for ethereal, as its avaiable on windows. You'll need WinPcap.

I 'think' 7.2 may still use IPChains (dependant on kernel version). Although an excellent firewall its been replaced by IPTables now. YaST will assist you in setting this up. FirewallBuilder would be a better option....however you'll need to have an excellent understanding of networks, protocols and general computer security to get a solid script. Its a proper firewall, none of this zonealarm sh1te.

It would be far to much work to update it to v9.0.

Tips and advise would cover a full text book, so I won't go into that, but I can answer pretty much any question you'll have on Linux

*edited as I didn't answer all you questions*

[Edited by Gedi - 11/20/2003 3:06:18 PM]
Old 20 November 2003, 04:38 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Novell now own Suse

Old 20 November 2003, 05:48 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Why not try downloading Redhat Fedora core 1... much newer kernel and better support for 'modern' peripherals, sound, network cards (including wireless). Installation is suprisingly civilised - I installed on an Athlon XP3200 / Asus Nforce2 and everything worked out of the box - even the firewire ports!.

Only costs as much as three blank cds

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited by AlexM - 11/20/2003 5:52:29 PM]
Old 20 November 2003, 07:53 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GNU/Linux is the kernel, the distribution (Red Hat, Debian, SuSE etc) is just the entire package that comes with the kernel including bundled software, package management, configuration toos etc. These are the bits that are different among distributions, some also make changes to the kernel as well.
Old 20 November 2003, 11:37 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll go from the beginning.

I won't go into the issues behind the pcmcia thing, but you can avoid it. When you first install SuSE you have a boot screen. From this boot screen you can pass parameters that will be issued to the kernel upon every boot thereafter. To avoid the kernel hang when detecting the pcmcia issue the following:

NOPCMCIA = "yes"

Knoppix is good for the job it was meant for which is running a full Linux distro from a cdrom. You don't install it.
Its great for either gettingto know Linux or keeping a copy in your CD case for emergencies......like you need to use a computer and some idiot who knows no better has put some sh1te called 'Windows' on there

Redhat is best left to the Americans IMHO. The only reason its so popular is because its big over there and they have to shout about it. Others include:
Mandrake - Nice for beginners. The european equivelent of RH
Debian - Excellent. Best left for the more experienced though
Slackware - Again, brilliant, but for the experienced.
Gentoo - Good distro, but for advanced again.
Lindows - STAY CLEAR. It has tried to simulate Windows and in the process has massively compromised its security.
SuSE - The most advanced distro for the desktop. YaST will make life easy for newcommers. In fact its too easy. If you wanna learn hardcore Linux, its best to move away from this after about 6 months. I use mine for desktop tasks such as mail, browsing etc everything you do on Windows, just because it makes life easy.
My other desktops like Slack, FreeBSD, Solaris are for getting your hands dirty with. Hackers machines in the true sense.

As Steve mentioned, the SuSE kernel is very heavily modified. Its has many extra features than what Linus originaly sets in the 'vanilla' kernels. For instance, although the new SuSE9.0 uses the 2.4.22 kernel, it has many of the new features of the 2.6.* kernel included, plus many of SuSE's own little tricks.
Old 21 November 2003, 10:43 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

I would say SuSE is the best for beginners. When I said 'advanced distro' I didn't mean for advanced users, I meant it had come the furthest in terms of technology for Linux on the desktop.

However Mandrake and RedHat are also both very good for beginners. Simply because they seem to be driven more by GUI's and automatic scripting systems. The other distros like Slackware take a good degree more knowledge / experience to run, but when you have this, they are the better distros IMO.

If you are serious about Linux, I would also advise SuSE for another reason.......you get 2 very large and very informative text books (with pro). Probably about 2000 pages worth of info. If you were to buy 2 books like 'Running Linux' From O'Reilly which is well recognised, it would probably cost you more, they are no better IMO and do not come with the latest SuSE OS

Just to clarify, I do not work for SuSE, and I am not biased toward them. I use many different flavours of not only Linux, but other unix like OS'. This is all just my opinion from experience.
Old 21 November 2003, 12:33 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Dependant on how old your laptop is, you may have major issues putting a distro as old as 7.2 on there. A lot of things have changed in laptops, especially the jump from APM to ACPI. Also, 7.2 had very little support for laptops in general. The new distros are much more geared up for this.....
.....again SuSE being the best in this department according to recent studies from some online Linux mags.

If you wanna try it without putting down the money and getting all the bumf that comes with it, you can get SuSE 9.0 off ebay for about £3

With regard to issuing commands at boot time, this is done from lilo
Old 21 November 2003, 07:43 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

http://www.linuxquestions.org is a good site
Old 22 November 2003, 12:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Haven't you read the Gartner advice? "Don't admit to running Linux" is what they say, otherwise SCO will send you an invoice.
Old 22 November 2003, 02:06 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

lol, I wouldn't put it past them either.
Latest accusation is that Linux has over 1 million lines of code from the unix OS.

B2Z, you just inspired me. I have just ordered 9.0 pro. So if you do get it now, and have any questions deirectly relate to that distro I should be in a better position to help.
Old 22 November 2003, 03:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Just spotted this thread, and coincidentally i have just bought SuSE 9.0 Professional from PeeCeeWorld today. OK, it was sixty notes, but as Gedi said above, you do get two hardcopy manuals - something quite rare these days. PCW also sold RedHat and Mandrake, but (from reading the various boxes) SuSE seemed to offer the most functionality versus price (RedHat was the most expensive).

I will be installing it on my new DELL (2.4GHz, 512MB, 40GB, 17"TFT - for only GBP650 - bargain) PC, and hope to take great pleasure in not opening the "Windoesn't XP" shrinkwrap that sadly we are all forced to purchase with a new PC - whether or not we want it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Takes me back twenty-odd years

mb
Old 22 November 2003, 05:02 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

[Edited by Gedi - 11/22/2003 5:04:05 PM]
Old 22 November 2003, 11:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Well just did a first install of SuSE, and i wasn't too impressed!

Admittedly i just stuck the CD in the drive and pressed GO, but it seemed to assume too much (idiot install mode) and thus i ended up with a desktop way out on the resolution size! Two attempts didn't cure the problem

However, this morning i also bought the "SAMS Teach Yerself RedHat in 24hours" book, which includes a pair of RedHat CDs. Just did a Noddy install and - hey presto, nice desktop at 1280*whatever

The book seems very readable, and as you also get a Linux kit with it, you may want to go that way first (only GBP22, or GBP15.39 at Amazon - ****!).

mb
Old 22 November 2003, 11:38 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

FYI SuSe is the future of linux, the profits I made on their shares is evidence..

I have no experience of linux OS's so far but I will be "researching" it further in the coming months..
Old 23 November 2003, 12:07 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuSE is just one distribution among many and each have their merits. There is no "future" in one particular distribution, it depends on ones needs.
Old 23 November 2003, 01:00 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Yes, the manuals are definitely worth it. They are excellent.

boomer, you can't really say one is better than another just becasue the install didn't go perfectly. The screen problem you were having would have been easily fixable by running SaX2.
Also, doing things the noddy way isn't what Linux is about. Its an OS that you build, not one that some multibillionaire software tycoon builds and decides thats the way everyone in the world will have to run. Doing things the noddy way is the windows way.

However RH is a good system, i'm sure you will have hours of fun learning it. The SAMS series are normally pretty good too. You can't learn Linux in 24 hours though. It takes years, and even then you will never fully 'learn' it. Its constantly evolving, thats the fun part, if you wanted to, you could be a part of the way it evolves and start to write code that could be included in later kernels. I know a few kernel hackers. They are smart guys and are never short of either work ot money