Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA operating systems

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2003, 08:49 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all,

I'm looking at buying a PDA (probably either a Palm Tungsten T3 or a Dell X3 or X5), but would like some like / advice on which is the most appropriate operating system.

I want the PDA as an organiser - diary, contact details, word processor, spreadsheets and ideally powerpoint. Although I'm not too bothered about e-mail or internet access at the moment I may want this in the future.

From my reasearch so far I gather there is a choice of two - Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 (Dell) or Palm OS 5.2.1 (Palm).

The Microsoft product probably has the advantage of "familiarity" as I'm used to Window XP. However, it doesn't include powerpoint.

I am not familiar with the Palm system - althought it doesn't have word, excel or powerpoint it looks as if it has similar software that is compatible with Microsoft.

Just how user friendly is the Palm system?
Just how good is the software that allows you to create and modify powerpoint presentations?
Is it truely compatible with Microsoft?
Is it simple to connect to laptop / PC?
Which system has the greater choice of other software (eg games, GPS navigation etc) which can be added?
Is either system easier to upgrade?

Sorry there are so many questions.

Finally - am I missing something fundemental here?

All help and advice greatly received.

Simon
Old 14 November 2003, 08:53 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Go with the MS product, and not because of familiarity, but because the software that's running on it is generally better. You'll also find Windows a lot more PocketPC friendly
Old 14 November 2003, 08:54 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Oh, and the Dell PDAs represent fantastic value for money, they are well spec'd as the best but very affordable
Old 14 November 2003, 09:11 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Just how user friendly is the Palm system?
Just how good is the software that allows you to create and modify powerpoint presentations?
Is it truely compatible with Microsoft?
Is it simple to connect to laptop / PC?
Which system has the greater choice of other software (eg games, GPS navigation etc) which can be added?
Is either system easier to upgrade?
I have a Palm Zire 71 which I was given as a present recently. I can only answer your questions based on what I have found with this machine:

The unit comes with some programmes bundled. For Word/Excel etc I had to purchase a programme called "Documents to Go". This allows all the MS office docs to be downloaded to the palm and read/altered etc. No functionality is lost.

Connecting to Laptop/PC is simplicity itself. I have both. Basically put unit in dock and press Hotsync button and it does all transferring for you and backs all docs up to My Documents on pc.

Software seems to be evenly matched - all software i have found and purchased has been available for both Palm and MS operating systems.

Upgrading system a doddle - hotsync does it all.

In addition the Zire 71 bhas a very useful camera built in which i have used to post a few pictures on scooby net already. I have MP3 files in it and have used Kinoma to produce Quicktime videos for reproduction on the Palm. I also downloaded an internet browser for free and various other stuff for free. (Kazaa)

I did have to buy a memory card for it which was £54 for 128Mb from Dabs.com.

Limitations are memory (which hasnt been a problem yet) and the fact that i seem to all of a sudden want to recreate my laptop in a smaller package. Games run great, Sonic the hedgehog etc run flawlessly. Some great games here www.astraware.com

I believe the Zire 71 offers more functionality than the Tunsten for less bucks, having looked at the specs.

Good Luck
Greg
Old 14 November 2003, 09:14 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Cheers zhastaph

The fantastic value for money / spec of the Dell PDA's was one of the very attractive things about them. The cheapest place I have found so far is actually direct from Dell themselves!!! 400Mhz with 64mb of memory for just over £200 - WOW!!!! Furthermore, they will add extra memory - an addition 128mb for £60. Still cheaper than the Palm T3

Do you know if you can get a pocket version of powerpoint from Microsoft?

Keep the advice coming guys

Simon
Old 14 November 2003, 09:21 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

On the Powerpoint, I'm not sure but I would be stunned if it woz not available, MS are very fiercly pushing the mobile platform at present. Just do a web search for PocketPC and Power Point.

Defo get the RAM upgrade once you realise that there are shed loads of great games out there for the units you'll be chewing up wot available memory there is

Old 14 November 2003, 09:54 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

there are powerpoint programs around for the PocketPC OS, check my website. Also check the size of the ones your looking at first, if you can. From what I've seen the Dells aren't the smallest ones out there, but they are good value for money.

if you want a real small PocketPC, check out the IPAQ 19xx range, Expansys sell them from under £200 upwards.

regards,
greg