Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help with printer error message

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 07:33 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an HP laserjet 3150 (printer, fax, copier).

Not used it for a while, and now when I turn it on, i get the following message on the LCD display -

"printer fixing error, replace fixing unit"

Anyone got any suggestions, as I have no manual, and couldn't find anything on the web.

Not sure if it means the fixing unit is broken and needs replacing or that it has come loose and needs putting back in place.

Oh and WTF is the fixing unit!!!!

laters

stu

Old 12 November 2003, 08:05 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Hopefully this link will work http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=24353
It should take to you to a downloadable version of the manual for the unit (if it doesn't goto drivers and support on www.hp.com and enter laserjet 3150).

The fixer unit is used to 'fix' the toner powder, using heat, to the paper.

If the fixer unit is broken the printer will appear to work correctly but you will find the print out will smudge because the toner is still powder.

Fixer units, like toner cartridges, normally have a life measured by the number of sheets printed, though the warning could be caused by something else.

Nigel
Old 12 November 2003, 08:09 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

As it is a laser printer, the fixing unit will also be known as the fuser unit. This is the bit that melts toner on to the page "fixing" the image after the paper has passed the toner and drum section.

I'm not familiar with the exact model, but the most likely cause of a message such as you are getting will be a failed fuser lamp. In the fuser unit (hot bit near where paper exits the machine) there will probably be a roller with a heater lamp inside it. If you can find something resmebling this description inside the machine and it isn't warming up, you've probably found your problem.

If this is the problem and you feel handy with a screwdriver, a local PC shop might be able to get a replacement lamp at a reasonable price. I would suspect that places like PC World will not stock these as standard and will charge a fortune to supply and fit.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not familiar with this model and don't know the price of a fuser lamp, but from previous knowledge of other printers a new lamp could be about £15.

Doug