Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

J2EE - Serious Business Tool or Flash in the pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2003, 12:34 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Agree with Steve - until the "next big thing" comes along, J2EE is a good way to build scalable enterprise systems.

I've worked for a J2EE application server vendor previously and still do Java development for my new employer. Our current project is EJBs, hosted on Weblogic, communicating with servlets on a web server.

I would say that although Java is portable, the different way in which vendors implement the J2EE standards and their own value add can, to a certain degree, lock you in to a particular vendor. The other thing is that the J2EE specs are *continually* evolving and keeping upto date (if you want to) needs a bit of effort.

Many vendors (including my previous employer) offered RAD tools to auto-generate code for you from your object model. Sweet stuff - you just implement the business logic instead of the mandatory code in the beans and the relationships between them.

If you want to research further, a good place to start is at serverside.com

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 11/9/2003 12:36:16 PM]
Old 08 November 2003, 10:45 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

As subject.

Cheers

Ian
Old 09 November 2003, 12:55 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious enough to warrant everything you'd ever want to know is available via Google.
Old 09 November 2003, 10:11 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Most of the applications that we either work on or have to intereface to these days are written to J2EE standards. The objects are distributed with EJB's, and interfaced to with servlets.

So it's certainly a serious Business Tool, and will stay so. Well, until the next "new thing" of course....

Steve.

Old 09 November 2003, 04:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's serious. The company I work for is heavily promoting a simple web services architecture with both J2EE and .Net as the underlying technology.

IMHO, it's mature and here to stay insofar as anything in the IT world is here to stay
Old 09 November 2003, 09:40 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I only ask as J2EE is what is being suggested by some consultant chappies for our next big project (very very large databases accessed via web services). I'm always wary of anything I don't fully understand (read: haven't got my hands dirty with) so was asking purely as to its long term viability for enterprise level work.

Cheers

Ian