Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LAN Problem with Win2000

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 11:13 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Network Neighbourhood can be a funny old stick, sometimes it will only display a few PC's for no apparent reason.

Try accessing the shares by opening \\server\share
and also by \\123.123.123.123\share often it will work, even if the host cannot be viewed in network neighbourhood.

Are you using DNS? It could be that the netbios side of things is broken, and the reason pinging hostnames works is because it is doing it via an ip lookup....?

Edited to add, have you set up the gateway on the Novell server?

[Edited by ajm - 11/6/2003 11:15:39 PM]
Old 06 November 2003, 07:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Right I will try and keep this to the point. I have a customer who needed more IP address space. Instead of NAT or a larger subnet (due to the fact they would have to renumber the existing 60ish machines), they were just given a /28 network to complement their /26. As the Cisco 2501 we provided had an address from the old /26 we added a secondary address from the new /28.

Customer setup is Cisco 2501 Router providing internet access - int Ethernet0 -->> Switch (non configurable) -->>Internal Win 2K machines.

The customer has moved 3 machines that were working fine on the old subnet, to the new subnet. The new machines can ping machines on the old subnet. They have a default gateway of the routers ethernet and the subnet masks are correct. However via Win 2K Network Neighborhood they cant see machines on the old subnet, logging on to a Novell Server times out as well. Both of these were working before when everything was on the same subnet.

I have removed the only acl from e0 to make sure its not blocking anything useful. Still no joy.

Can any of you brainiacs think of something I can check as my windows skills leave a lot to be desired? The router side of things looks fine and obviously IP connectivity is fine between the subnets.

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 06 November 2003, 07:53 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 06 November 2003, 10:50 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wheres the firewalling done if any?

Have you tried accessing the shares if any by ip and not by its netbios name?
Old 07 November 2003, 06:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It looks like a Netbios problem via the router. However doing an debug IP packet detail I can see packets sourcing from an IP on the new subnet with a destination IP on the old subnet. Src and dest port udp 137 which is netbios.

Anyone got an idea how you forward netbios through a cisco?

Simon.
Old 07 November 2003, 08:41 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Search Cisco for 'helper address', can't remember command structure anymore. Or just whack an lmhosts file on the machines separated from the server....or install WINS on a Wintel server and cut down on LAN traffic anyhow.

The Cisco is not forwarding the name resolution broadcast requests from the new subnet to the old (and why would you want it to....it's a router not a switch/bridge), not a problem when they were all on the same 'broadcast domain'.

Richard
Old 09 November 2003, 01:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ok I was already aware of the IP helper command. However it states the helper address should be that of the DHCP server or whatever you are trying to link. What the hell should I set it to in this situation?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 09 November 2003, 02:04 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If using wins then you shouldnt need the ip helper..

Could you do ip helper-address xx.xx.xx.0 ??

are you using IPX or IP on the netware boxes?

David
Old 09 November 2003, 02:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Someone here suggested using an ip helper address of the broadcast address for each subent. Tried this and no joy.

AFAIK the Novell setup is using both IPX and IP. The router isnt isnt configured for IPX. More worried about the windows side of things at the moment.

Simon.
Old 10 November 2003, 07:56 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

OK - checked on cisco.com ('netbios broadcast');

ipx type-20-propagation - will propogate IPX name resolution broadcasts.

ip forward-protocol ***** - do some digging, but you can use this to forward other broadcast traffic.

They are both generally things you seek to remove from router configs though

Richard
Old 10 November 2003, 08:04 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

ipx type-20-propagation - will propogate IPX name resolution broadcasts.
I did see this but from what I understood it was only if IPX was running over the router - which it isnt - only IP.

ip forward-protocol ***** - do some digging, but you can use this to forward other broadcast traffic.
Ive tried this command and it doesnt add to the running config (e.g. ip forward-protocol udp 137 = netbios). However when you add no in front it does appear so one can only assume it is enabled by default.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 10 November 2003, 05:15 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Maybe time for debug commands then - but can you even ping a machine name on the other subnet?

If not, then you need to forward ARP requests between the segments.

Maybe quicker to just enable bridging and be done with it. Sorry, I've not worked with IOS for a while

Richard