Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win 98 USB problems

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 05:19 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Win 98, all was hunky dorey, 2 usb devices (printer + link to digi camera) all been working fine.
Then I come to download some pics from the camera and find that it's not being recognised.
Printer also not working.
Checking in Control Panel / System shows the USB root hub with a ! against it.
I tried updating and reinstallign all relevant drivers off the Win98SE disk - no difference.
Also if I look in System Information / System or PRoblem Devices I see the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator has a Code 2 error against it.
Any Ideas ?
Old 27 October 2003, 05:36 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Have you uninstalled the drivers first? Try uninstalling the drivers, then uninstalling the hardware as well. If possible, delete the cached copies of the driver files (if 3rd party) before rebooting. Upon restarting, Windows should see 'new' hardware and request drivers etc.
Old 27 October 2003, 08:04 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I removed the root hub via device manager and on startup it saw the hardware and installed but still it shows an error against the device.
I have reinstalled the drivers but hadn't tried removing them so there's nothing there - is this just a case of removing the files in the windows\sysstem32\drivers ?
When I look against the device the message is ntkern.vxd device loader for this device could not load the device driver code=2

I've found a number of web sites relating to this message but none of hte solutions suggested (reinstall drivers, remove device etc) have helped me yet. BIOS looks ok, no h/w had been added or changed between it all working and now not working. Wonder if there's a h/w fault somewhere ?
Old 28 October 2003, 12:54 AM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Have you tried looking at how old your BIOS is. An update might be available. It does not explain why it stopped working. But sometimes it can cure it. I have seen this before with USB printers.
Old 28 October 2003, 10:52 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Updating the BIOS is a good idea. There's also a cache of driver files elsewhere in the \system32 folder (in a hidden/system folder if memory serves). Unless that's NT only, sorry... it's been a while since I've used 98!