Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Good pen testing / hacker courses

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 10:08 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone got any recommendations for decent penetration testing or white hat-type hacking courses?

Need to do a few for work. I've been looking at the ISS course on hacking techniques (looks good, but very expensive (around £3500 for a 4 day course)) or possibly some with SANS, although there aren't many in this country.

If anyone has done the ISS course or something similar, I would like to hear from them.

Thanks
Chris
Old 14 October 2003, 10:18 PM
tuffer
Scooby Regular

Havent done the course but this looks good value:
http://www.itsecuritytraining.com/PenEthical.htm

I don't believe the ISS courses are upto much.
Old 15 October 2003, 12:03 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Having been into hacking for about 15 years now, I would say that the only way to learn is by reading and experimenting.

If its certs your after then the most recognised one is CISSP. Others closly following this are CISA, GIAC and the new Security+.

If you want any info on hacking/security, you can mail me offline.

btw, I have CISSP and CCNA.....but I can say that no certs I have ever taken have aided me in computer security. If you want to get into this world, you need to look into security from a hackers perspective.

Word of warning, it takes over your life...heh. I spend aprox 16 hours a day either sat at a computer coding/hacking/general messing, reading books/papers about computers or writing papers about them and my research.
Old 15 October 2003, 01:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Thanks Gedi YHM

Chris
Old 15 October 2003, 01:52 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

oki....can't check it till tonight.

Just wanted to add, that the best cert I got to further my knowlegde in security was probably a computer science degree.

I know it seems odd, but I had only ever taught myself about networks, OS workings, coding (C, perl etc). In the degree we went into things like processor architecture, stacks alocation, buffers etc, which leads to assembly, which into low level understandings of programs. This gives you an understanding of how the computer works and thus a huge advantage....esspecially for exploits involving buffer overflows, which are becoming the norm today.
Old 15 October 2003, 02:49 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Gedi,

I know one shouldn't be driven to learning by incentives but would you say the financial compensation for all your hardwork and background learning is adequate?

Just wondering.

Rog
Old 15 October 2003, 03:09 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Yes and no

The very best hackers/pen testers in the UK today are probably on 400K per year np. But many of these hackers don't have any certs. They too interested in their research, and to good to be listening to some lecturer they know morwe than. They have proven themselves to be the best over the years. These guys are generally ex-blackhats who have grown up, now involved in hacking from the other side of the wire. They prpbably only looked into getting jobs at abuot the ago of 30 when it dawned on them that they had to make their way in life legally eventually. This is very typical in America where some of the best are found!

The ones who do get the certs end up working their way into managerial positions and make their money that way.

I get my certs because my comapny is willing to pay. They need their employees to have acreditations.....fair enough

[Edited by Gedi - 10/15/2003 3:10:00 PM]