Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WinXP SP1 and DVD regions

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 10:53 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips for playing RCE Region-1 discs on a PC? I usually have no problems playing R1 DVDs, but recently a couple of movies (new 'Italian Job', for example) won't play. I'm assuming that they're RCE encoded. Any tips for defeating the RCE mechanism?

I'm using WinXP SP1a, with a firmware flashed Pioneer drive and either PowerDVD or WinDVD.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:00 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

what is the point in this rce ****e?!
Old 14 October 2003, 11:12 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It's an extension of the DVD region-locking system. My understanding of RCE is as follows. Traditional region-encoded DVDs were tagged with a region code. If you try to play such a disc in a region-locked player, it will only play if they're the same zone. If you try to play that same DVD in an unlocked player, it will play because the drive is capable of playing DVDs of any region. However, RCE discs will only play in drives which are only capable of playing same-region discs. i.e. not just region-matched, but exclusively region matched.

That's my understanding anyway. Please correct me if I've got this wrong!

Essentially, it's a tool used by the DVD industry to shore-up a badly conceived DVD region coding scheme. I'm still amazed that the whole region locking scheme is even legal. It's shameful, IMHO. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway... anyone got tips for playing my movies?
Old 14 October 2003, 11:13 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Having an XP DVD problem myself - the flaming thing wont let me change it back to Region 2 even though I got 1 swap left...

...and If companies are so hell bent on preventing piracy etc, why the hell have Sony decided to fit the latest PS2's with DVD drives that are DVD-R/RW compatible! And they still have that ****ing Green screen with SCART!!!!
Old 14 October 2003, 11:22 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

messiah - is your region locking due to Windows or firmware (i.e. the drive)? If it's Windows then try DVD Genie. If it's firmware, you can look for a new 'hacked' firmware here.

By the way: you can address the PS2 'green' issue and region-locking with DVD Region X (available on amazon.co.uk for £9.99).
Old 14 October 2003, 11:27 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

region coding is a discrace, realy what is the big problem with wanting to buy a dvd legit from the states because it isnt available over here?
Old 14 October 2003, 11:32 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

region coding is a discrace, realy what is the big problem with wanting to buy a dvd legit from the states because it isnt available over here?
...spoken like a true consumer! I quite agree. However, the movie industry doesn't quite hold the same beliefs. They think it's OK to release movies to different countries at times and prices of their choosing. A bit arrogant, don't you think?

Anyway - anyone have any tips on playing movies which may be RCE encoded?

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2003, 11:37 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
I think the RCE encoding to fox those who have a hardware chip on their dvd player.

The more common your DVD player the more it is likely to be affected.

I don't use SCART on the PS2 - S-Video is miles better.

My XP problem is a windows thing - it keeps saying you either dont have a R2 disc in (which I definately did) or I dont have administrator priveleges (which I definately do). fooking thing!
Old 14 October 2003, 11:55 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

you'd think the states would be happy at more money coming in from overseas?

would the dvd player biuld into windows 2k work with them? as it makes you choose a specific dvd region on insertion of a disc
Old 14 October 2003, 02:51 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

If you use a small application called AnyDVD from... http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
you will be able to watch any region of DVD without upgrading your DVD drives firmware.
This application sits below the windows DVD drivers and disables region protection.
This is a very hand util when backing up DVD movies. If you copy the film with this application running your backup will have no region encolding and it will also get rid of those dam FBI warnings ect.
Old 14 October 2003, 03:52 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Good tip mate. AnyDVD seems to have done the job! Shame it's a 21-day demo...