Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Overclocking CPU and Memory

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2003, 11:25 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to the game... bought new Motherboard (msi K7N2 ILSR ) and memory (corsair 3500) with a Athlon XP+ 2700 chip. I know i need to overclock to get the memory to work at its 3500 setting...

Anyone know of any good sites with any info on where to start and what to do - i imagine i'll need a decent CPU fan - any recommendations?

Jza
Old 13 October 2003, 12:37 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jza,
I've been getting a new mag out called CustomPC.
Its helped a novice like me build and overclock my PC.
Dunno what the pros out there think of it?

www.custompc.co.uk

Nick
Old 13 October 2003, 01:26 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Cheers Butty - ill have a look!

Jza
Old 14 October 2003, 09:44 AM
mr-white
Scooby Regular

im an overclocker my self and i managed to get my xp2100 (1.73ghz) running at 2.4ghz and my 2500 barton to 2.2ghz on air

before you get into some serious overclocking you might want to do some serious researching because you can kill hardware very easily as to get good overclocks it will require you to up the cpu core voltage in the bios.

1. find stepping of cpu. its a code written on the cpu its self so you'll have to remove the heatsink. this code will tell you how well your cpu will overclock.
2. make sure you have a good heatsink and thermal compound. use artic silver its the best there is.
3. d/l temperature monitor software (i.e speed fan, motherboard monitor or asus probe). any temperature under 50'c is fine but lower is better as it'll mean you've got more temperature to play with
4.to overclock you'll have to reboot your system and enter the bios by holding delete. once your in the bios you can overclock by upping the cpu multiplier and the fsb.

fsb x cpu mulitiplier = cpu speed
133mhz x 12 = 1596mhz

getting a high fsb is dependant on how good your memory is. you'll want to up this slowly and then save and reboot. you could also start playing with memory timimgs etc but id leave that until you know more. to start with it should boot fine but once you start pushing your machine to the max your machine will fail to boot or may lock up while loading windows. once your in windows your'll want to check your temperature to make sure its ok. the final procedure to determine that the overclock is a success is to run pegrams that hammer your cpu. by doing this it will basically check to see if your cpu can handle the speeds. try using futuremark or sisoft sandra for this. if your computer cant handle it your computer may reboot, lock up, crash etc. you'll then have to reboot, enter the bios and lower your overclock. if your computer locks up while its rebooting and it wont reset you'll have to reset your cmos (this basically resets your bios to factory setting). you'll have to read your motherboard manual to find out where on your mobo this is. if your cpu overlock is slightly unstable then you could start upping the cpu core voltage. before you start doing this you'll want to read up first and i wouldnt increase it higher than 2v as your cpu wont handle it air cooled.

this is just a brief explaination, just type overclocking into google and you'll get loads of results and just spend a few days researching until you feel safe overclocking.

MW
Old 14 October 2003, 12:51 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

Jza