Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD-R/DVD+R?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2003, 05:56 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please explain the difference between DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD RAM???

Is this just the format it supports or something?

I am looking at getting a DVD re-writer and have seen a Pioneer one for about £90-£100 and it supports DVD-R & DVD+R as well as the normal 40x CD-R etc.
Old 11 October 2003, 09:33 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes get the pioneer "best @ the moment. Write yor disks -R...

Will play on more home dvd's

Ebuyer cheapest.

Dazza
Old 11 October 2003, 09:33 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

DVD-R is the officially sanctioned DVD Forum recordable format and as such carries the familiar DVD logo. A slightly larger number of players are able to read this format over DVD+R (mainly concerns older models). The rewritable version is DVD-RW.

DVD+R is a "DVD Compatible" recordable format by a rival consortium. It offers the same capacity as DVD-R. The rewritable version is DVD+RW. Its main advantage over DVD-RW is that you can do basic editing on the recorded video on set top recorders (similar to the editing functions available on a MiniDisc, track spilt, move etc.)

DVD-RAM is another official DVD rewritable format mainly for use in personal computers. You can write and erase the disc "ad-hoc" so it behaves exactly like a floppy or hard disc. You don't need to erase the whole disc to be able to record on it again. Despite being on the market the longest, it's the least popular recordable DVD format.

The DVD+R format have announced 9Gb single sided dual layer blank media has been developed and will be available soon. As an example, this will allow you to back up a full DVD-9 prerecorded movie onto one DVD+R disc.

Hopefully that's confused you!
Old 12 October 2003, 02:42 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Tip: Buy decent DVDs. I use www.blankdiscshop.co.uk because they tell you what dye the discs use, and I buy Ritek G04 dye DVD-Rs. Not had a coaster yet with these and my Pioneer 106.
Old 12 October 2003, 08:06 PM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

I got Pionner 106 - does both + and -

Use Bulkpaq DVD-R's and even tho these are considered poor quality not had one problem or coaster yet
Old 12 October 2003, 08:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My first batch of Bulkpaq..no probs.This batch had quite a few coasters.Purple's btw.
Old 13 October 2003, 02:38 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Smile

SVP (blankdiskshop) currently have stock of the Pioneer 106 (+r and -r writer) for £99 inc. VAT
They might still be offering delivery for 99p on this drive.
At £99.99 delivered, you won't buy a better writer, currently the best selling writer on the market, even although it's by no means the cheapest.

If you opt for this drive, you should snap up some of the Ridata 4x -r disks while you're at it. A fantastic disk, using Ritek GO4 dye, at only 88p per disk (50pack)

I would stay away from the Bulkpaq (or any other Princo disk), tempting as the price may be, as you'll be lucky if you can read the written disk a few months down the line.
Old 13 October 2003, 10:11 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

whats the cheapest disks available that work well with the NEC nd 1300a?
Old 13 October 2003, 12:43 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The cheapest just now are probably White Label ro Datawrite reds/yellows

The White Label (IMHO) are naff. Burn over 4GB on them and you've no hope of reading to the edge.
There is currently a quality problem being nivestigated with the DW Yellows. Apparently there are 1x disks mixed in the 4x batches (to be confirmed)

Cheapest doesn't always work out the most economical. Take into account any coasters you make and the disks that won't read back in a few months and it's a false economy.

If it's not Ritek, it's not right
Old 13 October 2003, 12:52 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i know cheap aint always the best but im lookin for some a pound or under each. i got a 25pack 4X ritek spindle for £30 which is £1.20 a disk. not had any coasters at all, but wanted somat cheaper next time.
Old 13 October 2003, 05:25 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Problem with Bulkpaq discs is they differ from batch to batch. Some might be 100% perfect, others might not even read in the drive as writable.
Old 13 October 2003, 06:54 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

You can get Ritek media sub-£1 now. There's a chance it'll fall even lower as Ritek plan to stop using the expensive azo (deep purple) dye but continue to produce excellence.

Ridata were 88-90p per disk last week. Riteks own unbranded disk.
My current favourite is the white/silver-top Datasafe 4x. I believe they're available for £1/disk also.
Old 13 October 2003, 11:46 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Boooo, dont stop the purple dye, it looks cool