Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

pocket pc / palm advice!

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 12:24 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all, just after a bit of PDA / Palm advice from those in the know… (i.e. not me!)

Firstly, what the difference between a Pocket PC and a Palm? I think Pocket PC’s have some version of Windows on, with a baby version of word etc – true?

Basically I want something that I can write documents on, manage time, play a few games at work (essential) save stuff, upload and download stuff via my own PC. That kind of thing! I’ve heard you can do some cool stuff with them, but I’ve got no idea what too look for.

The latest PC something-or-other mag recommends the IPAQ1910, which looks quite sexy but has no description!

Any advice at all would be appreciated – thanks!
Old 23 September 2003, 08:59 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Mr DBM - you're basically right: Pocket PC has a version of Windows, with portable (i.e. cut-down) versions of Word, Excel and other favourites. Palm has a different operating system but does basically the same thing. I think you can get converters from their WP software to Word, in case you need to convert.

You can do cool stuff with both, but when you find something you want to do, check which is best for it, as one platform may be able to do it while the other can't. For example, if you want to hook up to GPS receiver, I think only the Pocket PC do that ... not entirely sure though.

I've had both and personally prefer Pocket PC, as I like the look and feel of the Windows OS better than the Palm one. Also, it's important for me to be able to synch the device with my PC at work, and in my experience the Windows machines are much better at this.

I know there are some folks on here who know a lot about this stuff ... one guy has a Pocket PC site.
Old 24 September 2003, 10:36 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

cheers father jack!