Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

computer lock up ??

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 07:12 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wonder what the main cause off pc locking up occasionaly while surfing the net ?? can be okay for hours then go to click on something and will just lock up, obviously forcing me to have to turn off / back on again, is this problem related to the pc or service provider ( ntl-56k dial up )

Also, after pc has been on for hours, the internet speed can sometimes be reduced to a crawl !! with pages taking so long to download that the connection will be cut, but if I turn off the computer and switch back on again, the speed off internet viewing seems excellant again !! anyone ??.........

p.s packard bell club 66- 32MB ram- and yes I know with memory being so cheap and all that !!! anyone in the know advise me off a good update to speed things up off this pc- memory type needed ?? cheapest mail order source ??

regards,
john..
Old 22 September 2003, 08:25 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

you don't say what the OS is but i'm guessing windows. Bin it and switch to linux.

Your internet problem sounds odd, never crossed that before. Would need to have the box to diagnose that.

The computer locking up is just due to windows being unstable. Sounds like you might be using 9x, if so a switch to 2k/xp will help, but these 2 also have their problems
Old 22 September 2003, 01:32 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Is it exclusive to Internet browsing only, or can it happen at any time?

If it happens at any time, it could be a problem with your RAM (as you may be aware of).

Cheaper, generic RAM is not as reliable as more expensive quality RAM (Corsair, Kingston, Samsung, etc). The solution is to then buy some quality RAM... which is about £85 - £120 (DDR) and £50 - £85 (SDRAM)for a single 512MB stick, depending on where you buy it from and who manufactures it.

Cheapest supplier doesn't always mean that they are the best - some places have shocking customer service.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM

They are a good place to buy from, with free shipping on your order.

[Edited by adpd - 9/22/2003 1:35:28 PM]

[Edited by adpd - 9/22/2003 1:36:57 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 08:47 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

yes, web browsers can eat into ram dependant on content.

Judging on the computer he mentioned, I would guess at the ram being DIMM or maybe even SIMM.

Forgot to say, its about 20 quid.

http://www.scan.co.uk

[Edited by Gedi - 9/22/2003 8:50:26 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 09:04 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I tried Linux to see how different it was from Windows. From what little I saw of it before my computer curled it's toes up looked good, if not mind boggling to use.

If you struggle with windows, Linux will blow your socks off, I somehow managed to get my machine booting between RH8,W98 & W2k, the installation didn't seem to last very long before my PC died - maybe I should stick to twin&earth
Old 22 September 2003, 10:01 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

agreed. Ignore my first comment. Linux is for computer enthusiasts, not everyday home users.

I am just your typical UNIX lover with an axe to grind with Bill Gates and hate all things M$.

Although, Linux is becoming less dependant on the shell as a centre point now, with GUI's pushing forward the average home user may be able to turn to a superior operating system in the near future. My odds are on SuSE bursting through first as this is the most technically advanced. (but we'll always have the shell)

[Edited by Gedi - 9/22/2003 10:02:16 PM]
Old 23 September 2003, 09:17 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

I must say it looked very pleasing on the eye, and was relativeley easy enough to install. The problem came when you wanted to do anything - take everything you ever learnt about puters ( assuming you learnt with windows ) - and throw it out of the window , where the **** do I start???

I can't see it ever catching on as a replacement home / business OS, unless the GUI is more "windowsized" for cabbages like me - I got the impression that you need to start again. I never bothered reinstalling it again, there didn't seem much point.