Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP partitioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2003, 06:32 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mate bought a 2nd hand pc that was partitioned up, but wants the partitions taken away.

Well, we deleted one partition which created unallocated space and ran partition magic (8.0). It said it needed to restart to make the changes so we did. But when it booted up, it went through the partition screen saying it was doing it, then it came up saying that the FAT size was not the correct size (something like that - I am not at his house no more to get the exact size).

We are running scandisk/defrag, then trying again. If this doesnt work....any ideas?

(sorry I couludnt get an exact error message. If I go back over there I will write it down and post it here)
Old 21 September 2003, 06:57 PM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

Are you planning on re-installing all software, including the operating system. If so use a win98 start disk and run FDISK. From this you can change the partitioning.
Old 21 September 2003, 07:06 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

We were hopefully gonna not re-install all software, but if it came to it, I will do that.

Thanks for your help
Old 21 September 2003, 09:56 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If the partition you're trying to delete is BEFORE the XP partition, BE CAREFUL !

I've done this once, partition magic boll0xed on me and I ended up with a re-build

You may be able to join the partitions instead, but, again, be careful !.

Have you a second drive ? Could be worth copying the second partition to a boot sector on that first, then the original drive can be 'played with' safely....

Mark