Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Oracle Forms on Citrix

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 11:52 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Are there any problems with using Oracle Forms via a Citrix Server?

Some developers at our place think there will be issues running Oracle Forms - though as far as I know, Citrix doesn't care what the software is - it's just keyboard input one way, and screen output the other.

Anyone know of any issues?
Old 17 September 2003, 12:51 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
No issues what so ever matey!

All Citrix is, is a way of processing on a central server (in sessions) and whacking out the screen to the thin client.

I have been responsible for Project Managing a heavy Oracle based system to users on a LAN, WAN, dial-up, ISDN & Broadband connections via Citrix. The application using Oracle 7 (Forms 4.?), but moving to Oracle 9i (Forms 6) this month, has caused no problems whatsoever (and has been used over Citrix since October last year).

Your comment on citrix not caring is entirely 100% true.

HTH

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 17 September 2003, 12:59 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Cheers for that - that is exactly what I needed to know
Old 17 September 2003, 01:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing you need to concern yourself with is whether the Oracle version you're developing in will run on the underlying OS on the Citrix box i.e.

Windows NT4 (if it's an older Terminal Server & Citrix)
Windows 2000
Windows 2003

The only other thing that springs to mind is remember that every user on the Citrix box is running a shared copy the application. The users have their own personal settings (via the NT profile), so any environment settings would have to take this into account.

I've no Oracle Forms experience, but that's the general rule for rolling out apps to Terminal Servers/Citrix boxes.

Stefan
Old 17 September 2003, 01:21 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Oracle forms will run on any of those platforms as the CLIENT, but remember your database server will be totally separate, which could run on either UNIX, AIX, NT, LINUX to name but a few. the application may also be stored on an application server (as we do). The only thing we use the Citrix server for is for client via internal connection or via VPN. Dependant on how critical your system(s) are you could also consider running a "Citrix Farm". This will enable a server fallback if your LIVE box fails.

As regards to the personal settings....

Each users connection is session based. Things like desktop etc can be changed for individuals. Items such as registry entries cannot, as they are part of THE central resource that all users default from.

BE WARNED THOUGH......

You *may* get issues with printing via the client and your desktop. We have been in the unfortunate position of having all the gas with this, but it has been a problem that has been addressed via a number of service pack releases.

Regards,
Shaun.

[Edited by Shaun - 9/17/2003 1:28:41 PM]