Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Auto-Logon question

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2003, 09:54 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello folks,

Since installing a particular Windows Update (I don't know which one, perhaps .net?) my XP Pro machine now asks me when I boot up which user account to log on to. Mine is the only account on there, and considering I have loads of stuff in my startup, this is starting to get annoying. It means when I click on my username it then takes a good minute or so for Windows to settle down. Previously I could switch the machine on, and walk away, and all those tools I have set to auto-start will be running happily with my Windows desktop running within a couple of minutes, rather than me having to wait for the user selection screen to appear.

I've had a look through the various networking options but don't seem able to find a way to set the machine so that I am automatically logged on. As mentioned above, this was the way it worked before, and some update has changed my settings.

Any help you can give appreciated. Wife just told me her laptop does the same thing.

Cheers
Joolz
Old 06 September 2003, 11:47 AM
M J B
Scooby Regular

Hello
I was trying to do this myself yesterday but had no luck. You should be able to sort it from the link below.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231
I ended up trying to make a new user so i could test it out and some how, ended up deleting all but one account and leaving that as limited and not administrator lol
Old 06 September 2003, 11:49 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought but is your machine standalone or connected to other on a network?

Sounds like the update may have installed some networking services against a network adapter (be it modem or LAN adapter) in your PC e.g. 'Client for Microsoft Networks' (CMN). This service prompts you for a logon because it thinks your on a network.

Confused? You can uncheck the service CMN when you go into network properties and this should stop the logon prompts. There should also be some options in the control panel to configure how your PC logs on to make this process more straight forward.
Old 06 September 2003, 03:55 PM
si325i
Scooby Regular

go to the control panel and delete the new user it install. dam micro soft

Si
Old 06 September 2003, 08:22 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheat, get TweakUI for Windows XP. There is an auto login option
Old 06 September 2003, 10:14 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thanks si325i

That's done the trick. Damn sneaky software never asked to install any user accounts

Deleted the offending article and now the machine auto-logs on fine, though I think I'll down load TweakUI XP as I used to enjoy the flexibility the W95 version gave me.

Cheers!
Joolz323i
Old 07 September 2003, 04:02 PM
si325i
Scooby Regular

cool.