Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell TFT screens..

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2003, 12:55 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to order a new Dell Dimension 4600 and I'd like to know if anyone has experience of the 18" 1800 FP screen that they are offring right now?

The 17" 171 FP is about £100 less and I have one at work and it's pretty good for office stuff [IMHO] and the slim (Samsung) design is good.

My home machine has to do all this plus a fair bit of Photoshopping and a bit of FlightSim so maybe the 18" is the way to go?

Any views?

Old 03 September 2003, 02:03 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Interested to hear how you get on - we're looking at the same thing but on a 2400. They did have £150 off the price (upgrade from 17" £100) but we missed that offer and are waiting for it to come around again.

Kevin.
Old 03 September 2003, 02:30 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. I have just found out on their website...

http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en_details.htm

...that the 18" 'ultrasharp'has actuall got a slightly slower refresh rate 30 vs 25ms compared to the 17" one which isn't exaclty state of the art but at least the viewing angle is better.

The 1703 height adjustable model starts to look more appealing as it has a better 'contrast ratio' of 500:1, 25ms response time and an even better viewing angle....

I'm actually in Switzerland and will be buying from Dell Suisse so the pricing might be very local but look out for the E-Value codes that you get with systems that are advertised in print. I have found that these packages are often way better than the basic prices that they offer on the website and they are often available for longer periods.

The stupid weekly offers that they run have been getting on my nerves as they always say 'last day' and then the same offer appears the next day!

P.S. I heard that Dell dropped a lot of prices by up to 22% in the US on BBC World recently to cash-in onthe back-to-school period sales.

Goodluck.

Old 16 September 2003, 11:52 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Got my new system set up yesterday.

On first impression, I'm very happy with the Dell 17" 1703 (height adjustable model).

Definatley better image quality (particularly viewing angle) when compared to my office DELL E171FP.

The 1703 also has two USB connectors which could be handy...

And the stand itself appears to be sturdy too and can be raised nice and high.