Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

In-car CCTV system

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2003, 10:26 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being slighty dumb when it comes to computers, I suspect what I want is possible, but im not sure how to go about it.
What I want is to have a basic lap-top stowed in the boot and 2 webcams/wee cctv cameras in the car, mounted facing front and rear.
I want the computer to record live video from both cameras in blocks to its hard-drive. the blocks need to be at least a couple of hours long, but longer would be a bonus, then if I dont save the video permanantly, or write it to a cd or whatever, it starts to write over the old blocks, so in theory it could run 24/7, recording blocks for at least a couple of hours at a time, and if I need, I can save certain blocks before they are overwritten.

The basic stuff I can handle, i.e. mounting the laptop and wiring up a power supply to keep it charged, and mounting the cameras etc is all fine, Im just not sure about the computer-side of things. Is what want even possible, and if so, what spec equipment am I likely to need? What software will I need? and how much is it likely to cost?

Or, if the computer idea is a bust...is there anything else that can do what I need?
Id rather not be messing about with VCR`s in the boot and stuff like that, I would much prefer a digital recording system so I can view stuff on my home pc easily, and dont have to worry about tapes degrading, or heads getting dirty, affecting picture quality.

Thanks for any help,
Dave.

[Edited by David_Dickson - 8/22/2003 10:27:39 PM]
Old 22 August 2003, 10:55 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

ok - i too am interested in this and i am currently working on a project that has the gubbins of a laptop in the car.

now, bear this in mind, mine (p166) draws around 1A when doing nothing (at 12v) and upto 2A when accessing the HDD - so, you can see that if it is powering cameras and writing to the HDD you might be looking at upto 3A/H. if this is running when the car isn't i can't see your battery being in good condition in the morning, i.e. 10 hours will draw 30 amps. this is a problem i'm stuck with as well.
Old 22 August 2003, 11:02 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

For me, stuff like that is easy to overcome, its the techy computer stuff I hate!

The plan is to fit a deep-cycle battery in the boot too, this will also run my ICe set-up when Im driving.
I will wire up a caravan split-charge relay to it, so that the engine will recharge this battery when its running, but when off, the 2nd battery is isolated from the main car battery. This will avoid flat-battery problems the next morning.
The deep-cycle battery should provide enough juice to run several amps of power overnight.
I hope!
Old 22 August 2003, 11:24 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I havent tried this but in theory (in my head) it sounds like it would work.

Program: Windows Movie Maker x 2 (different folders)
Webcams: Two webcams (different drivers)

Run both programs at the same time!!! Voila!!!!
Old 23 August 2003, 01:39 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

car gets Nicked.... taking with it, evidence of WHO nicked it and whole idea behind having the cctv in there in the first place????

Think you might need to set it up to activate only on movement detection and then e-mail the clip away from car.

Have a camera facing out the window, and you can find out where they stashed it too

Andy
Old 23 August 2003, 01:54 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Its nothing to do with the car being nicked, Thats not why I want this at all.
Old 23 August 2003, 01:57 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Is it to record while driving?
Old 23 August 2003, 02:24 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

That makes a little more sense then.
Old 23 August 2003, 11:56 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

If you want professional image recording software (as used in Security CCTV industry) email Clare (info@uk-cctv.co.uk) I'm sure she'll be able to supply the info/product you require.
Old 23 August 2003, 07:27 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help so far guys,
Yes it is to record whilst driving.

Im not sure I want to go as far as a proper cctv set-up, I just thought a laptop and webcam would make an adequade job for what I need it for.
Old 23 August 2003, 07:57 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

you'll be able to do what you want, i too thought of this so if i'm involved in an accident that is not my fault i have proof!
Old 23 August 2003, 09:18 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
My only thought is - why have it running in that case if you're at home in bed?

Power it down and up the next morning....
Old 23 August 2003, 09:30 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

midget 1500.

i pretty sure that "editable" data is not admissable as the be all and end all of evidence, from joe public.

how many cameras do you need?? in truth, about 8 pointing out of the car for this purpose...
seems a lot of aggro to go through, when a suitable witness would suffice.

i think there should be drug testing for s/n users.

BB
Old 23 August 2003, 09:32 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Midget1500, thats exactly the plan. A year ago I was involved in a non-fault accident. The other driver gave a false statement and produced a supporting statement from a bogus witness, so she was believed and I wasnt, so the claim went against me.
Something like this would be ideal for proving my innocence in a future situation that might arise.

PTMW, I thought about that, but the main problem is spending a couple of minutes booting it up each morning. In winter I would be tempted not to bother on short journeys, and knowing my luck...well, im sure you can image what would probably happen!
If its running 24/7 then I wouldnt have that problem, and it may be usefull if my car were broken into or vandalised anywhere at night.
Old 23 August 2003, 09:44 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

ok, a friend of mine just suggested why not do away with the lap-top idea and mount a digital camcorder with a big memory card in the car.

Sounds a lot simpler, but is it possible to get a digi camcorder to loop its recording to overwrite early data when it gets to the end of its storage?
Old 24 August 2003, 08:57 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
this might not to helpfull but wot the hell just buy 2 video cams lol
Old 24 August 2003, 11:30 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

yeah, might not be admissable in court but good for trackdays anyways and fun road moments also, i'm sure the insurance co. would like to watch the footage even if not useful in court.

david - you don't need it to run at nite so why not just link the laptop upto a switched live wire in the car so only boots when you turn the ignition on. as the pc boots into say windows, have the applications you want to run in the start folder (or in the registry) so it all starts up itself.

definately do-able!
Old 24 August 2003, 04:46 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i realise it may not be admissable as legal evidence, but it would almost certainly have swayed my claim in my favour if the insurance companies concerned had seen what really happened.

The switched live to turn it on idea crossed my mind but i wasnt sure if I could get the program to run itsself when the compter started up...if I can do what you suggest, thats one less thing to worry about.
Old 24 August 2003, 08:27 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I strapped a webcam to the front of my car for track day the other day

Just used movie maker 2 - on 1 cam, but i'm sure the software you are on about can be written!

Andy