Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problem with laptop's screen. Can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 05:57 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi guys

I've got 3 y.o. IBM laptop and recently it developed a problem. The screen switches off while the base is still working (I can see the lights flashing). I have to re-boot it to get the screen working again but the same **** happens after 5-10-15 minutes. It's very frustrating, especially when I am trying to book something on the web!

I am in the Richmond / Reigate areas so could bring it around if you could have a look at it for me.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Andrei
Old 22 July 2003, 11:42 AM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

Some Operating Systems have a fun time with the power saving settings on laptops (and the IBM is one of them).

Check them in the control panel and switch all the profile settings to off (even without the power in - which means you'll go through your battery quite quickly).

Is your power supply working as well - or are you running from battery and it's not getting charged properly? My mate had this problem and it only trickled charged every known again.

Last one, have you been installing a lot of software (freeware / shareware), it's always worth uninstalling stuff as some of it might be conflicting and crashing windows.

Just a few thoughts - which IBM model is it?
Old 22 July 2003, 12:28 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Hi Blue Boy,

The model is Thinkpad 570 Pentium II, type 2644

The battery is dead -- only lasts a few minutes at a time, so running the computer off the mains all the time. Will a new battery solve the problem? The thing is - when the screen goes off the computer is still 'alive' (flashing and making noises ).

Will try switching off the Control Panel settings as you suggest.

Thanks! Please let me know if you have any more ideas for me.

Cheers,

Andrei
Old 22 July 2003, 03:15 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

AHH! my gateway does this, coz the battery is knackered the power supply can't supply enough current to run it (properly) so it will die (say when it does something that needs a bit of juice)