Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ok, LAN sorted(thanks Andy), what about firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 12:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorted the lan connection from my laptop to pc, I can now email and proxy+ is redundant. Thankyou to Andy aka SIDHEaD.

My question now though is, is my laptop safe?, I have no firewall directly on the laptop, the firewall is on the PC. Is this ok?, or do I need a firewall on the laptop?.

Also is there a way to turn off (for good) windows messenger?, my g/f uses it and I don't want it on my comp, but it comes up the same as the PC.
Old 14 July 2003, 01:32 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've just put xp antispy on my site here one of the options is to turn off messenger

Si

erm edit coz its a zip not exe

[Edited by Mr.Cookie - 14/07/2003 13:34:51]
Old 14 July 2003, 06:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

For homeuse, firewall on your laptop is OK - vastly better than running nothing at all - which is what a lot of people seem to do.

A lot of the attacks that you see on the Internet are random - guys running programs that will scan whole banks of IP addresses. Therefore, using a good firewall on your PC will protect against the most common forms of attack.

Always make sure that your antivirus software is up-to-date and use your common sense with emails - if you don't know who its from (and it has an attachment!) - delete it.

You could also consider using programs such as Spybot and Spyware Blaster - which will remove and protect against spyware and other dodgy bits often installed without you noticing.

Your next setup from a basic firewall would be to go for some form of intrusion detection (some firewalls do already offer this), but this is probably not needed at the moment.

Cheers
Chris
Old 14 July 2003, 07:28 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Question

i've just gone broadband and was wondering if any of these are any good? if so which one is best?

cheers mike
Old 14 July 2003, 07:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Mike

The old favourite is ZoneAlarm. I used to use this - it is quite a large chunky program and my old PC seemed to take ages to boot up with ZA installed. Sygate Personal Firewall is also highly recommended - slightly smaller and faster in my experience. Also look at the offerings from Symantec amongst others. All should have free versions that are perfectly good for home use. Make sure you have the latest versions (I think that they all do automatic checks).

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 7/14/2003 7:52:27 PM]
Old 14 July 2003, 09:30 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks Chris.

I presume you are talking about the standard XP firewall on my laptop?, I have this activated.

I have Norton firewall on the PC, was just wondering if that keeps attacks from my laptop as well.

I have been running no firewall at all on my laptop, connecting to the internet using Proxy+, been like this for about 6 months and okay. Today i'm on XP's own LAN.