Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Think me computer is knackered

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2003, 10:35 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!

came up to my machine last night and had a little yellow triangle in the system tray saying "hardware fault". keyboard had frozen and no mouse. so i hit the reset and XP Pro came up with a text screen saying it failed to start the last time (i assume it had rebooted itself while i was not there) and that i had 5 options

safe mode
safe mode with network support
something else

Load the last known good configuration

or start normally.

It said use the keyboard to choose your selection but the keyboard doesnt work, so it defaults to start normally and starts after the count down. i get the first XP Pro splash screen and then the computer hangs. still no keyboard.

So I reboot the machine and go into the BIOS. I check the bios as it is a usb keyboard and all USB ports are swithed on. if i switch keyboard support in the BIOS from OS to BIOS then the first text screen allows me to choose my boot up mode but it doesnt matter which one i choose the computer still hangs.

For the last few days one of my hard drives has been clicking away. while using the computer if the hard drive clicks my computer freezes for anything up to 20 seconds, and on one occasion i actually had to tap the side of the hard drive to get the head to move again. i thought it might be heat related but the side of my case is off permanently so that cant be it.

I have had no other indication that this might happen. i suspect it might be the abit mobo as the ps2 port for the keyboard was dodgy hense the usb keyboard.

sorry for the length of post, but would any of you IT gurus out there have any ideas how to remedy?

cheers

big sinky
Old 07 July 2003, 05:47 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe not in this case but memory has been known to do some weird things when it goes, good luck and let us know what it was