Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Screenshots in MS Word

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2003, 03:48 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know how to take a Word document containing lots of screenshots, which tend to be BMPs or some other equivalent format, and (semi-)automatically convert the pictures into embedded JPEGs, in order to reduce the overall size of the file?
Old 25 June 2003, 03:58 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

you can winzip the word file, that should get the file size down.
Old 25 June 2003, 09:11 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I (me, not that good with puters ) would save the doc as a web page.

you will get a folder created with all the images saved as individual BMP files. convert them all to jpeg, open the original word doc and then drop in the jpegs in place of the BMP's. Ok, not very "semi automatic" but it should do it.

I am probly barking up the wrong tree (as usual ), or maybe you could convert to PDF, i think this will reduce the size quite a bit.
Old 25 June 2003, 10:50 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you are using Office XP,open the file you have and click "Save As" and then click on the Tools button and "Compress Pictures".You should get a list of options now to enable compression.......
Ideally,when you insert screendumps into word you should firstly put them into something like MS Photoeditor and save as a jpg file.Then click on the "Insert" menu and "Insert picture from file",pointing to the location where you stored the previous jpg. Doing this will embed the jpg whereas a copy and paste of a screendump will embed it as a bitmap,hence no compression on the embedded image!!
I'd imagine there are tools out there to insert screenshots etc but I can't say I've used em though.....

Hope this helps?

Nick