Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Email on LAN??

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 09:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
got a laptop on a LAN connected to my main PC. I use proxy+ and it took a lot of messing to get the internet to work, but sussed it in the end. The thing is I want to be able to email from it but cannot do it. Has anyone managed to get it to work?, I've tried loads of things.

Is there any other way to do it?, I was going to use the std LAN features of windows XP, but I think if I messed with the proxy settings I'd end up losing the internet again
Old 24 June 2003, 10:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the internet connected machine has xp on it and you're using adsl or a cable modem then all this is very very simple. Uninstall proxy+ and shove it in the bin

All you need to do is enable internet connection sharing on the network card for the CM or ADSL on the internet-pc (rightclick on the connection -> properties). Windows will assign it an IP address of 192.168.0.1

On the laptop, set the network card IP (rightclick card in network connections, properties, double-click on TCP/IP) to something on same network range, i.e. 192.168.0.2 , and then put in the default gateway and dns server as the ip address of the internet PC.

Remove any "proxy" settings on the laptop and then it should work.

Andy
Old 24 June 2003, 11:37 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks Andy

I'm a bit worried doing this as it took me ages to get it to work in the first place.

I might give it a go tommorrow.. depending on how brave I feel
Old 25 June 2003, 08:47 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternately, (again if using broadband (ADSL or Cable)) buy a router and network the PCs properly. You'll then have file and print sharing between the PCs AND each PC will be able to use the internet independantly of the other(s)