Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linux boffs - Multibooting question...

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2003, 05:01 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

OK

New Dell 8500, didn't buy a floppy drive as these days with USB media and CDroms I do do everything that I need to.

Got various partitions for XP, 2003 and 2000 for work I need to do and want to build a Red Hat 9 partition.

Installed no problem, using LILO not copied to MBR, but partion that is mounted as / . Reason being is that I'm happy to use the NTLDR and use that to load Linux. Really can't be ar5ed with Boot magic etc.

Now on my old PC I could use the floppy to boot Linux, run LILO and copy the first 512bytes of the sector for use in the NTLDR.

Q - how the hell can I do that now with no floppy. I can copy make my laptop boot of the USB dongle or CDrom, but neither seem to want to boot of /dev/hda10. Is there some config file you have to edit to tell Linux where its installed ?

Help !

Ids
Old 20 June 2003, 04:15 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Can you make a linux boot disk cd and use that as you would have done with a floppy disk ?
Old 21 June 2003, 04:07 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Ken

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think there were no experts on here

Hmm - we'll I have a boot floppy, copy of that on my dongle and a Linux CD - all of em boot, but how do you force it to startup using the install at /dev/hda10 ??? Once I can get into RedTwat I can go the rest...

Is there some paramter that has to be set or is it automatic ?

Come on, sandals wearers! (Otherwise I will be right that MS stuff is still better )

Ids