Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CPC Banner Abuse Logic

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2003, 12:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

Does anyone know of any good articles or resources for the current state of the art in abuse filtering for CPC banners.

Basically I want to stop people being able to click something a million times in order to generate loads of click throughs.

Obviously the above is simple as you can just track the IP address / session, etc. But I wonder if there are more advanced techniques now which stop bots and scripts, etc?

All the best

Simon
Old 13 June 2003, 12:17 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's just excessive clicks you want to prevent you can set up some velocity-checking software, it's pretty simple to write yourself though, I'd use a shared memory segment but your Win32 env will be threaded anyway.

Each time a banner (or anything) is clicked you consult your scoreboard and see when the last access was from that IP. If it's within your limits then update the last click time, if it's above the thresholds you've set then trigger the flood prevention. You'll need to set thresholds because of things like proxies or people being impatient with their Internet connection

Steve.