Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ahem!! This is really embarrasing but I gotta ask someone!

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 02:51 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have gotta re load (install?) Windows 98 cos my home PC is now absolutley buggered My active desktop is bolloxed so everytime i try and do anything with it (Like wallpapers etc,) i get a fatal systems error of operations error.
Also when on the tinternet, if i close a window, the poxy thing disconnects me so i end up with 10-20 windows/sites running at any one time. Naturally the machine gets slower and slower until eventually it freezes and I have to slap it about abit
Now i apparently need to save my data first. Is this litterally dragging and dropping all of my desktop folders onto say a CD-R?
Am i right in saying that i'll also be needing Microsoft Office to re-install Excel, Windows, Powerpoint etc?
I should know this I know, but hey i've lived for this long without knowing

I've looked at a couple of threads that you network administrators and the like run and to be honest, it's all beyond me, mates have tried over and over again to explain, but i loose interest and goto the pub. Problem is my home PC is now FUBAR'ed so I have to deal with it.

Cheers

Mikey
Old 11 June 2003, 03:01 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep, you'll need your installation disks for Office

You know where I am and that I can sort you out mate, so feel free to give us a bell or drop us an email. I can sort you out for a small charge Us doleys need to get some money somehow
Old 11 June 2003, 03:18 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yay

Old man Hanslow to the rescue AGAIN!!

Mikey
Old 11 June 2003, 05:17 PM
velryba
Scooby Regular

well you shouldn't have so much heavy **** (wallpaper you call it) running in the same time....

in the mean time, I could have a look on it when we come up, ofcourse talking about the wallpaper
Old 12 June 2003, 09:14 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

PMSL @ Rob

Mike - let me know if you need anything!

Rich
Old 12 June 2003, 09:29 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I fcukin knew it I just knew i'd ***** summat up, but as they say "Feel the fear.......and do it anyway"

Right then, here's what happened. Hanslow helped me clear down my Hard Drive (Formatting? ) Did that, re-installed OS and Office 2000, cool everyone's happy
Then it all goes Pete Tong, I think that what has happened is that My Modem/sound card,(Riptide World International ) My Video Card/Graphics (AGP V3800/16m) and a thing called an Audio Riser card have all lost thier drivers.
When I bought the PC 4-5 yeras ago, I got a recovery disc with it which is now long lost Am I right in saying that the drivers for this hardware would have been on this disk?
I have tried getting the machine to identify the hardware, which it sort of does, but obviously out of the hundreds of drivers on the Windows 98 Disc, None of them suit my stuff. Typical!
Any Ideas?
I got the hardware info by opening the PC and reading the Mfr details off of the cards direct.
Currently my Computer screen is running in 640 x 480 mode and am not able to adjust this through the Display thingy. It won't let me Also if i try to change from 16 bit to 256 (or whatever it is ) the machine reboots and then tells me that my graphics card can't take the pace.
Pretty sure it's just a case of know how, so over to you guys

Should I just go back to PC world and ask 'em for a replacement recovery disk?

Mikey

Old 12 June 2003, 10:22 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

A trip to the hardware manufacturers website(s) and a search for updated drivers for those items should help sort it.

Old 12 June 2003, 11:36 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

And don't forget to install Win98 Second Edition, not first edition.
Old 12 June 2003, 09:43 PM
velryba
Scooby Regular

Figment has the answer.
Also b4 you go to search each manufacture try Driver Zone web page where you might find allllllllllll the driver you're looking for.

P.S. So if you are running 640x480 that means that you have a huge nipple across the screen?
Old 13 June 2003, 08:54 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

PMSL

Mikey