Sponsored by:

Type RA/R how good compared to P1 etc..

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2001, 12:50 AM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta quickie..
I have a '96 type RA (no, RAver????!!) and reckon that these and the type R's must be amoungst the more extreme Scooby models? I read a lot on this bb about RB5's, P1's etc., but little mention of the RA & Rs.
The variable centre diff is itself worthy of mention, although I haven't used it in anger myself -YET However winter cometh
I assumed that the reason for the lack of postings/mentions was as the RA/R was only available way back in '96/97..
Then the other day I saw an 00 model year RA advertised (in Top Marques)
How has the spec changed over the years?
How does the RA/R compare to the other hot models?
Personally I think that the gearing is wicked (for acceleration) but costlier for motorway use.
I understand that if the low-geared (or is it high-geared?) 'box is fitted, it is the group N gearbox -true or false? Mine has this. ;D
Old 23 August 2001, 01:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, but it is a bit of an obscure question. What exactly are you expecting?

is mine better than yours etc?

People dont tend to ask questions saying, how does mine compare. If problems arise, then type of car is relevant, also people want to know what to buy in the first place.

I have seen no shortage of type r or ra related posts.

They have been produced continuosly since since 96. There are also v limiteds. sti ras and wrx ras, sti type rs and wrx type rs (only two models - very rare).

Type ras and type rs have shorter gearing than other jap cars. early RAs had very short gearing with a max speed around 120 mph. They have a final drive of 4.44 whereas the uk cars have a final drive of 3.9. On top of this later type rs and ras have a closer ratio box, so tend to top out at around 160 mph redlining in fifth. great for in gear acceleration, I wouldnt change mine for the anything.

Some V-limiteds, have normal sti gearing replaced. Early ras also dont seem to have the two pot rear brakes, and the harsher rear lsd.

The other thing is that the P1 being the uk 280 bhp version has 1000 customers all in the uk, so it will get more attention than your car, especially as it was introduced more recently.

I still dont really know what you are expecting, post wise.

Old 23 August 2001, 01:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

WRX RA were available from MY93 onwards (every year)
STi WRX RA were available from MY95 onwards (every year but the MY95 was a modified WRX RA though)
WRX R were available from MY98 onwards (every year)
STi WRX R were available from MY97 onwards (every year)

I have low gearing on my MY00 RA which is great for roll on aceleration but the revs are higher at motorway speeds. Mines geared for 20 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th.

Not sure about the Group N gearbox but I heard rumours for homologated ECU's and uprated clutches as the RA's were built for rally use only, really.

cheers

chrisp

ps. above info
Old 23 August 2001, 01:17 PM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guys..
Adam - ta for the info, I find it very interesting - there seems to be a lack of conformity in these RA models with regard to gearing etc.,:O mine is a 1996 wrx sti2 (straight intercooler) type RA v-ltd. It is indeed short-geared.. As a point of interest I bought the car as I liked the colour
I don't think it's de-restricted either!!
Theres soo much fun still to be had below 112mph
Old 23 August 2001, 01:52 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

RAver,

the sti 2 has an angled intercooler, and was an my95. It also had the older style bonnet, grille and headlights. Are you sure it isnt a 3 which was the first of the straight intercoolers. Other way to tell is that, later style bonnet has two seem running up from grille, past air vents (devided lengthways in half, instead of older style horizontal slats) twoards the corners of the windscreen.
Old 23 August 2001, 01:54 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Wink

99 Type RA V-Limited 0-60 4.41secs
P1 0-60 5.3 secs

All figures taken from Mondays Banzai thrash.....

Russ
(still walking round like a dog with two ****s!)

(oh go on, lets make it a "mine's faster than yours" thread!)
Old 23 August 2001, 01:55 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Wink

99 Type RA V-Limited 0-60 4.41secs
P1 0-60 5.3 secs

All figures taken from Mondays Banzai thrash.....

Russ
(still walking round like a dog with two ****s!)

(oh go on, lets make it a "mine's faster than yours" thread!)
Old 23 August 2001, 03:26 PM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>RAver,

the sti 2 has an angled intercooler, and was an my95. It also had the older style bonnet, grille and headlights. Are you sure it isnt a 3 which was the first of the straight intercoolers. Other way to tell is that, later style bonnet has two seem running up from grille, past air vents (devided lengthways in half, instead of older style horizontal slats) twoards the corners of the windscreen.[/quote]
Thanks again Adam, silly me,:I my intercooler is at an angle (& not from accident damage either) hence it's an sti2..
PS The colour is code 53c I think; the "typical" subaru rally blue: what is this colour called officially?
Old 23 August 2001, 04:36 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Often ignored by people is that the WRX RA was specifically intended as a base to go rallying with - The Sti RA was more designed as an extreme road car. The RA's (I have one) are a real challenge to drive fast but very rewarding with it. Potentially faster than any standard Impreza, including P1s, just more severe.
Old 23 August 2001, 08:35 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Whats the gearing like on a 99 RA? Is motorway cruising going to be at high revs?
Old 24 August 2001, 08:45 AM
Adam B
Scooby Regular

Cool

SammyH

I've got a MY00 RA and 80 mph reads
4100rpm, on my UK MY94 80 was 3200rpm. I presume this is the same gearing as on the 99.

Fantastic backroad car and personally I was pleasently surprised at how un-intrusive it is on motorways. We'll have to see if it remains so when the new exhaust system is fitted

Does anyone have a full technical spec for the RA ??

Cheers

Adam

Old 24 August 2001, 09:04 AM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone,
Great to find that I'm not alone in appreciating these great variants of the Impreza. I have read that even the glass was lightened for some models, the bonnet is aluminium on mine, not the boot though as I have read.. I will post the speed/revs in each gear for mine when I've noted it down: 1996 model v-ltd (555 made).
I can recommend a non-cat exhaust system for power and sound: the popping on over-run is awesome and worth the trouble alone of replacing the cat @ MOT time..
Anyone experimented with the centre-diff settings??
Old 24 August 2001, 07:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
RAver
I have had the pleasure of owning both cars. They are both brilliant cars. However, i found the sti5 typeR a real handfull to drive, and as i do a lot of motorway driving, was pi**ed of with the sub 200 mile fuel range. The manual diff was quite good and essential in the wet, as the car is very prone to back endness, very unlike my 1st wrx!
I felt the extra £13,000 i paid for the P1 was worth every penny. It just looks a totally different car, more grown up and purposeful. The handling is not as harsh and the car is better set up for our UK roads. The only thing i miss from the sti is the gear change, the P1 seems a lot longer throw.
And the bonus was the £200 i saved on insurance!

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 24 August 2001).]