Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ne1 use Epson network print servers?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2003, 03:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Been given a new Aculaser C900 colour printer to install on our network (NT4). No probs I thought as it already has a print server card built in.

The usual way I setup our HP printers, is as a local printer on our PDC pointing to the JetDirect port of the printer (IP only). I then just share this and everyone spools print jobs via our PDC.

Tried the same setup with the new Epson and everytime you print, this Epson Status Monitor pops up with a comms error. I've tried printing direct via IP, via NetBios share names and even IPX but this monitor doesn't work.

Not just annoying when printing, it pops up even if you want to change some printer properties.

Anyone know a way around this? I've tried disabling some of the monitoring functions through the printer driver, but it still pops up. Can I delete it altogether some how??

Stefan
Old 04 June 2003, 08:48 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal preference with all these print servers is not to use the manufacturers software.

For example set the IP address on an HP print server. Install IP printing from the NT/2000 disks. Select add port from witin printers and add an IP print port. Put in the IP address of the HP print server and port number 9100.. It will now work with no pop ups on the server and no software to crash/take up memory.

Old 04 June 2003, 09:21 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had similar probs with an Epson stylus 900 that I shared on our NT4 print server at work.This is goin back a couple of years now and I eventually got the status monitor to work from the clients machines(More so that they could monitor cartridge ink levels in the printer itself).I think I got the updated SM from Epsons website in the end.Can't you disable the SM at the print server end though?

Nick