Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Terminal Services

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 04:14 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scoobynet knowledge to the rescue again, hopefully

I have XP Pro on the main PC and often use Terminal Services from my laptop (W2K Pro) to connect to it. However, if someone is logged on to the main PC, I get a message saying someone is logged on to the main PC and I will have to kick them off to connect via TS. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Is there a way of telling the Windows XP Pro machine to accept a Term Svcs connection without chucking off the local user?

TIA,

Alex
Old 27 May 2003, 04:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, unless you have 'proper' Terminal Services with Windows 2000/2003 server.

XP will only accept one connection, whether it's local or via a TS session. If you need multiple sessions, you need server edition.

Stefan
Old 28 May 2003, 09:30 AM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

Otherwise you can use something like pcanywhere or even the free realvnc application. These allow you to control the machine without booting the other person off. Not as cool as terminal service though but does the job.
Old 28 May 2003, 09:36 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Guess it depends on whether you just don't want them logged off or whether you want to do work whilst they continue working as well.

If you go with pcAnywhere or VNC, you'll need to now their password if they lock the workstation plus you'll be using their profile, which is probably configured just for their e-mail.

If you want them to still work whilst you use the workstation, then you can't. You need to be running W2K/2003 server to do that.

Stefan
Old 28 May 2003, 09:37 AM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

and that gets expensive if you want it legal!!
Old 28 May 2003, 09:50 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Oh well, not really worth it. Only want to be able to log onto the main PC from the laptop to check on Kazaa downloads etc whilst me girlfriend is using it Certainly not worth a W2K Server licence....
Old 28 May 2003, 10:06 AM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, want to check my downloads at home whilst at work. Problem was logging the wife off when connecting. I use vnc now which keeps the person connected and you both use the pc at the same time. the screen updates can be poor sometimes not as good as terminal server. But hey this product is free and it does the job, try it out http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

Cheers
Old 28 May 2003, 10:54 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

You could try using TightVNC as it's slightly better at optimising the screen updates.

You'll freak the wife out when you starting moving the mouse around the screen whilst she's using it @ home

Stefan
Old 28 May 2003, 10:56 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Ahh, now I understand. We have separate accounts, so I'm looking to log on under my own profile, not take over hers....

Will VNC not do this?

Alex
Old 28 May 2003, 10:58 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

No; it can't be done with XP Pro/Home OR VNC/pcAnywhere. You need a server edition to have two (or more) users logged in at any one time.

Stefan
Old 28 May 2003, 10:59 AM
glynieboy
Scooby Regular

Wont work then! terminal service is the best option!

Unless you setup kazza under her account if thats the main thing you want to check!!

The other way is to send her an IM to see if she is on the PC before connecting to it !! ;-)