Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Huge mailboxes (again) and SYS:\

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2003, 09:22 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi peeps

I have a little prob that I hope you guys n gals can help me with. I am moving from an old server (dell poweredge) to the new one. The old
server had a big sys with grpwise on it (so its huge ) but on the new server we have a raid 10 config. This means that the mirrored "os" volume is small ie < the 32 GB required to fit everything on until me move the Groupwise onto its own volume.

Using the migration wizard it wont work (you cant specify a migration to another volume but same volumes are ok) because its too big. Eventually we want to move parts of sys (read groupwise) onto another raid 5 volume called Mail before it goes live.

Now I realise that I could do NCOPY or Xcopy /s /e /v etc but would that work.
What about file system rights and sys:system etc?

Whats the best way to approach this ?

Regards

Stuart

Old 15 May 2003, 09:25 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what permissions /rights do you have set on the sys volume?

What version of nw??

David
Old 15 May 2003, 09:35 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

The version we are migrating to is nw6 sp3. As for rights, most of the rights on there are to do with the server having full file system rights. The rights are so over the place that to log them all would take me the entire morning

The [Public] and server rights are correct but its other rights that have been added in that im an not sure about ie a user has direct rights to the sys: volume
Old 15 May 2003, 10:01 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

What's version of NW is running on the old server?

Are you wanting to keep the server name? and is the new server part of the same NDS tree?

When I migrated servers before, I just did a fresh install of the new server in the same NDS tree as the existing one. I left the system folders PUBLIC, SYSTEM, ETC & MAIL alone unless there were specific configuration files needing copying over e.g. hosts table or NFS config files.

I then ran the TBACKUP utility on the data folder to create the TRESTORE batch file with all the user rights. IIRC the batch file only references the volume and not server name. Even if the volume name is different, you can do a search/replace on the batch file with any new server or volume names.

I then just NCOPY'd or XCOPY'd the data from the old server to the new one and ran the TRESTORE commands for the specific data folders.

I don't like doing this in one big hit, so I usually broke down the folders and created different trustee restore batch files.

The biggest question will be time. I did some hardware migrations a few years back for a large shipbuilders (3000+ users, 10 NetWare servers and about 500GB of data) all on my tod

I had the procedure down to a tee, with every step documented. The benefit to that job was they were keeping the same NetWare setup, just moving from old hardware to new Compaq's. The biggest hassle was waiting for the restores to complete.

It was by far the easiest method, but that all changes when you start wanting to migrate the NetWare version at the same time.

If you are, what about migrating the hardware first, then performing an in-place upgrade of your NetWare?

Stefan
Old 15 May 2003, 10:23 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

We are doing a migration from version 5.0 to 6. Ive just managed to kill the f*cking thing by trying to migrate it

I will have a look at trestore - could be a good option because I have heard other people mention it before.

Basically this server is replacing another server (the only server) in the tree ! It is keeping the name etc.

[Edited by Stueyb - 5/15/2003 10:24:55 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 10:32 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I think I may have found a way around this. It involves losing a couple of high volume users to scrape enough disk space to copy it voer before recopying to mail:\

One question though, using the migration tool - If I begin the nds migration and then do a finish nds migration, will it change the source server. Basically, does it write to the old one so that if the move goes **** up it prevents me from just powering off the new hardware and powering up the old hardware and let it run. ?
Old 15 May 2003, 10:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

sorry, I don't know. well I did know, but it's been about 2 yrs since I did any NetWare migration work and I've forgotten

Stefan