Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why won't my second hard drive capture video?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 07:15 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please take the time to look if you think you might be able to help!

See here for details and comments already made.

Bexlee
Old 10 May 2003, 07:47 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Is this it ??????
With Studio, I get an error, "Sorry, cannot capture. The data rate on drive C: is less than the required rate of 4000 Kbytes/second." When I click on the capture button

This error message occurs only with users capture from a 1394 host controller with Studio or Studio 7.
The first time you enter the Capture module in Studio, a test runs to determine the read and write speed of your hard drive. This test takes about a minute to complete and it tests the drive you installed the Studio software on, which typically will be drive C. If you have other drive(s) for capturing video, the test will be run on them when you select these drives to capture to.
Studio DV/DV 7 requires that the hard drive, where video will be captured, be able to sustain a data transfer rate of at least 4000 Kbytes/second. This data rate is necessary in order to transfer the video from the DV tape to the hard drive without any loss of data. Any lost data will show up as dropped frames and video with dropped frames plays back with visible stutter, making the captured footage unusable. Captured video that is "jerky" or "stutters" and can only be corrected by recapturing the video until no frames are dropped.
To run the hard drive test on other drives (for the first time):
Click on the "Capture" tab.
On the diskometer, click on the file cabinet icon. Use the "Save in" box to change the drive letter to your other hard drive. Click OK.
The hard drive test will run.
To run the hard drive test on any drive (after the initial test):
Click on the "Capture" tab.
On the diskometer, click on the file cabinet icon. Use the "Save in" box to change the drive letter to your other hard drive. Click OK.
Click on the "Settings" button
Click on the "Test Data Rate" button to run the test.
Note: The test may take up to a minute to complete.
If your / read and write rates are both above 4000 Kbytes/second then you can begin to capture. If they are not, see the steps below.
If some or none of your hard drives give read and write rates over 4000 Kbytes/second, then you may not have DMA enabled.
Old 11 May 2003, 11:25 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem, my guess is your hard disk speed is only 5400rpm
I changed my hard disk to 7200rpm and everything worked no problem. Computer is miles faster as well.
Alan
Old 11 May 2003, 06:50 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Foot_Tapper

That did it! (I have Stdio 8, but the 'buttons' are the same as you say for 7) Thanks very much.

Please hang around while I now try to edit and create

Bexlee