Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Newbie Linux questions

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 01:06 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've now been running Redhat 8 with Gnome on my laptop for sometime and am getting to grips with it. I used to use UNIX many years ago, but seem to have forgotten a fair bit, so some (hopefully) easy questions

1. Is there a way to automatically start applications within certain workspaces? ie have 2 Opera browsers start in workplace 2, email in workspace 1, terminals in workspace 3 etc? I seem to remember doing something like this in Ultrix years ago, by editing a local X config file or something.

2. How can I add new programs to my Gnome menu, ie I've installed Opera and would like to add it as an icon under the Internet drawer

3. Is there any way to speed up the boot time of RedHat 8 and also the login time?

4. I created a simple script which connects me into HP using VPN, I have to be root to run it. Is there a way I can make this run from an icon when I'm logged in as myself?

5. how do I change the default internet browser to be Opera? I changed the preferred application to custom web browser and put /usr/bin/opera in there, but when I click a URL from an email message it fires up Mozilla.

6. Are there any decent sound packages around? The default ones that load when I launch a program are naff!

thanks for any help!

Greg
Old 23 April 2003, 02:42 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use Gnome or any desktop env so you'll have to consult the man pages on how to do it, but:

1. You can do that with the Gnome session manager
2. Changing the menu is also easy, but I can't remember how
3. The boot time is still half that of Windows generally, but depending on your kernel and boot loader you can add "compact" to a LILO config which will usually make it boot even faster. Login time is instant unless your password file contains thousands of entries. It'll be all the cruft in the desktop env which takes time to load, which is why I don't use them
4. Yes, you can either make it SUID or install sudo and stick yourself in the sudo config - definitely read all the sudo man pages first.
5. Can't help you on that one
6. The latest 2.6 Linux kernel has a shed load of new good sound support, I noticed in Linux Journal over the weekend.
Old 23 April 2003, 03:20 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. right click on the menu bar, applet/utils/deskguide. now you have 4 workspaces. can be done from the start buton too.

Everything can be added to the main menu bar.... Loadsa option fron the session manager as well. just muck around for a while: