Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TOCA Race Driver XBOX Demo

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2003, 09:31 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got this month's issue of OXBM, the one with the TOCA Race Driver Demo on?

What do you think of it?

Personally I think the way the car handles is terrible. There is just too much movement left and right even if you just slightly move the left joystick. Also there is no proper feel to the car when it is on the road and as far as cornering goes, well I never know what is going to happen. It feels so bad!!

Also it is like destruction derby when you attempt the race, you get rammed from behind etc etc. I thought the TOCA race driver series was built on good handling and good car AI. This demo is a worry as I have looked forward to this game for ages. Also it says the demo is a 80% complete, in my opinion a lot more than 20% needs re-writing.

Anyone else got any opinions?

I actually enjoyed Racing Evoluzione on the demo disc more and this is supposed to have worse handling that TOCA according to the reviews!!!
Old 26 March 2003, 09:32 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I downloaded the PC demo and after 10 mins it was uninstalled as it was pathetic. Not sure how close it is to the end product but if they can release a demo that crap then it doesnt bode well really.

Simon.
Old 26 March 2003, 09:33 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Not tried the demos out yet. Wasn't over impressed with the PS2 version though, so I'm not expecting much.

Agree Apex Racing Evoluzione is good fun, so long as you don't take it too seriously
Old 26 March 2003, 10:06 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

DJDunk,

Did you finish Sega GT?

I completed it fairly quickly.

The X box could do with a killer car game still though. I put GT3 on last night on the PS2 and I think that game has aged somewhat.

I honestly thought TOCA Race Driver would be the game that would eventually tie in good handling and impressive AI. We could do with a good racer where the other cars show a little bit of intelligence instead of sticking to the racing line all the time, regardless of where you are on the track.

Looks like that wait is to continue. Unless anyone knows better?
Old 26 March 2003, 10:24 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

No, didn't finish SegaGT. Still haven't found 'that' racing game that can hold my attention long enough

Was SegaGT worth playing to the end ?
Old 26 March 2003, 10:30 AM
Jye_0
BANNED

Thumbs down

Tried it and yes its very very sad. I just cant take any console racing game seriously. They are OK for a drunken living room thrash with your mates but make me cringe when ever someone mentions realism. Even GT3 had no damage model.

The best racing games IMO are alaways for the PC. GT 2002 is a 275 meg mod for F1 2002 and has the most reaslistic handling of any game Ive played (praps same as GPL and Nascar from Papyrus). Driving a Diablo, 550 or Viper at Spa is the only way to race and its very net friendly, very little lag at all even with 16 players.

Now if this could be ported 'as is' to the XBox then praps I'd come back to the living room and 36" dolby surround heaven
Old 26 March 2003, 10:32 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Well I completed season 1 and a new season appeared. But this one didn't have any licence tests on AND you couldn't go back to the previous season to redo the tests again!
After winning enough money to do my cars up, I eventually finished first on all tracks in season 2 and just got some end credits and a movie for my troubles. The game left season 2 races to do again after completing it but it was too easy the game overall!

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=9ce25a8a3cc47e0dd4ff99f7da52c1a 8&forumid=124

is a forum I have found for TOCA Pro Race Driver. There have been a lot of negative comments about it.

Looks like codemaster have somehow cocked up both CM3 and TOCA from the well received earlier games!!

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2003, 11:19 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dunno what everyone is grumbling about.

Bought Toca on the xbox at the weekend and I love it. Handling is superb. You actually have to brake carefully and be precise with your driving to make any progress, (unlike games like GT3 on ps2, GT2002 on xbox etc which you can just seem to slide around with no real attempt at realistic physics etc).

Graphics are superb, sound is superb (even better through the 5.1 surround), the other cars actually race you and will take revenge if you knock them off. Seems to have a reasonable storyline as well.

I like it

Iain
Old 31 March 2003, 12:18 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

--Handling is superb--

Based on what, a shopping trolly
Old 31 March 2003, 12:43 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Compared to GT2002 / CM3 . At least it feels like you are driving, and it takes a bit of skill to master (unlike the other two...)

Oh, and you can drive Imprezas in it as well (did a race last night full of STi6s)

Iain
Old 31 March 2003, 03:39 PM
Jye_0
BANNED

Ian, Im not talking about GT2002 for the XBox, the Sega one, hehe Im talking about GT2002 the 'very' realistic mod (modification) for the game F1 2002. This aint no console game afaict

check this webby and look at the physics model under tips and guides

http://gearbox.mart-in.com/

[Edited by Jye_0 - 3/31/2003 4:43:33 PM]
Old 02 April 2003, 10:20 AM
Jye_0
BANNED

hahah, console gamers, brains off for playing the damn things and replying