Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Grokster fiddled with my machine

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2003, 09:04 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'kin grokster.

I thought to myself "give it a try, see if there is better **** on Grokster" My, its really screwed my machine, all sorts of nasty unsigned and untrusted apps have appeared on my machine from the grokster install. Does anyone know how to remove em ESPECIALLY the annoying click on a page redirect to webservicehouse.com ie, instead of getting my story on the register it goes to:
http://apps.webservicehost.com/apps/epa/epa?cid=shnv9885&s=http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/29877.html

It is so poor. I didnt ask it to do any of this. Anyone else had similar issues. Ive removed most of the crap but cant get rid of this one.

Grokster blows

[Edited by Stueyb - 3/22/2003 9:11:49 AM]
Old 22 March 2003, 09:55 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Uninstall it. Download Ad-Aware and run it so you can clean your machine from all the spyware crap Grokster has put on there. Next, get yourself over to KazaaLite and grab the latest version and install that. You'll be back on the FastTrack P2P network with no spyware.
Old 22 March 2003, 09:57 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

What is a definition of spyware? Aggressive programs loaded that you don't want?
Old 22 March 2003, 10:08 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I suppose different people classify it in different ways. Personally, any program which goes behind my back and connects to a server passing information on my surfing habits, or personal information, I call spyware.

There's a fairly good site here which gives information on spyware with a 'database' of programs which have been found to be a bit roguish. They include this definition of spyware:

"Spyware is the name which was given to software that - without the user of the program knowing that the software performs this kind of action - traces the user's usage of the internet and sends this information - again without the user knowing this is happening - to a computer ("Server") designated by the developer of the Spyware software.

"By performing these actions, detailed userprofiles may be collected - without the user's knowledge and approval - which then can be used for commercial or other purposes. By gathering and sending this information both resources on the user's computer as well as bandwidth on the Internet is abusively used, not to mention the breach of privacy such a userprofile would be."

Old 22 March 2003, 10:25 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Very interesting. Thanks for that.
Old 22 March 2003, 04:30 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I tried ad aware earlier, didnt help any. Removed a lot of the crap but still left this rubbish behind. I do use Kazaa Lite normally but i was seing what else was available.

Old 22 March 2003, 05:36 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Grokster wont work without its spyware.. I have tried. Download Kaaza Lite instead.. no nasty gremlins with that one. And the **** is still good LOL
Old 23 March 2003, 12:34 AM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

bit torrent try a search on google dunno if it's anygood for **** but works a treat for me in other areas.

Si
Ps email if you wanna know more.
Old 23 March 2003, 07:20 AM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

Why do people still use Grokster, Kazaa etc etc....there ****e.

www.neo-modus.com ........direct connect is what you want!!
Old 23 March 2003, 09:17 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

direct connect aint that hot either... its no better than kaaza. Some of the underground hubs are cool but its finding them and being allowed in.
Old 23 March 2003, 09:35 AM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

Talking

"it's no better than kazaa".... yer right, spend some time learning how to use it, i've got a 120 gig hard drive full of everything, all from DC, if you don't think it's that good, fine keep using kazaa etc
Old 23 March 2003, 09:53 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

What... only 120 gig? (only kidding)

Your still bound by your download speeds so you probably would have got all your stuff from any of them. Afterall - your still relying on people sharing out and staying online for you.

Im not arguing - but there are so many p2p networks out there now, most peeps are spread around so you might need to visit more than one place to get what you want.

I dont download much myself as I only listen to Northern Soul and I have most of them