Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Speed up Kazaa Lite

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2003, 07:39 PM
DarkMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got broadband and am trying out Kazaa Lite. Is their anyway of speeding up downloads. I seem to be getting 1-2 kb/s on most downloads, ocassionally it jumps up a bit. My connection to other sites is good and i've done the test on ADSLguide and I have a good download speed.

Is their anything I am doing wrong or is it just down to the connection speed at the other end?
Old 03 March 2003, 10:38 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Make sure you download bandwidths of more than 200. 450 is ideal. Also try not to share files too much as this causes it to crash.
Old 03 March 2003, 11:02 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

iknow i goes against what kazza is all about but if you remove all the downloaded files from the kazza shared folder and move them someplace else then when ppls do a search for a particular file your username doesnt come up as you aint sharin files. this is ok if like me you dont download that much.

i know, i know, complete and utter ba$tard for not sharing files, so whatta ya gonna do?

cheers

big sinky
Old 03 March 2003, 11:17 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

search kazaa hack.

i would upload it but im tired n cant be @rsed at the mo.

Do it tomorrow if you dont find it.

Si
Old 03 March 2003, 11:32 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

KazaaLite Cheater in there with v2.0.0
Old 04 March 2003, 07:11 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Look for the program speedup.exe which is installed with Kazaa Lite. Launch KL with that rather than from it's own executable as SpeedUp will automatically do the "find more sources" jobbie for you which will jolly things along quite a bit.
Old 04 March 2003, 08:25 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Anyone noticed the 'Yes, I'm a big cheater..' registry key for kazaa lite? in
HKCU/software/KazaaLite

What's that all about then?
Old 04 March 2003, 11:20 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Kazaa has changed recently. It is now designed to give you a download speed based on your 'Participation Level' which is shown on the Media Desktop in version 2.1 +, I think. Earlier versions of Kazaa & Kazaa Lite (i.e. if you haven't upgraded) won't show your Participation Level, but you still have one.

If you never share, and therefore no-one uploads from you, your PL will be cr@p. The more others upload from you, the higher your PL, and the better download speeds you'll get.

Therefore you have 2 options:

1. Share plenty of good files (after all that's kinda the point of Kazaa, if no-one shares it falls to bits) and leave it connected (only really possible with broadband) and your PL will climb, giving you decent downloads. I was getting rubbish speeds with a PL of 30ish, left it connected overnight twice with all my tracks (c. > 3000 files) available, and it was up around 500. This means you are then only limited by the available bandwidth of the person you are downloading from, not your PL.

2. Use a hack tool to artificially climb your PL, there are some around, though I guess Kazaa will be tying hard to stop/block/force upgrades soon otherwise they might as well drop the PL

There is a lot of discussion, I notice around people listed as 'Supreme Beings' with the max PL setting where users immediately disconnect them when they try and upload as they have obviously hacked their level.

HTH,

Alex