Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IT job market...............grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2003, 03:50 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi All,

1 month down the line of being made redundant and Im still looking for work. Once again a recruiter confirmed my suspicians this afternoon telling me that basically she would only submit people who have 100% of the skills required and are in the right location too.

She told me previously she could submit someone with say 5 of the 8 skills required(about 2 years ago this is), but now it was much tougher and companies are just picking and chosing whom they want - its a total clients market.

Recruitment firms must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Its seriously begining to p1ss me off and get me down, next up Ill have the dole office asking me why I havent found a job.......

Im seriously considering a career change, a total bye bye to IT and make it a hobby!

Anyone else finding this, I know there are a number of people in my situation.

Andy

Old 03 March 2003, 03:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try approaching clients direct?
Old 03 March 2003, 04:18 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Come up North

Try this

http://www.gojobsite.co.uk/

they email jobs to you etc.

Good luck hope it helps

Si
Old 03 March 2003, 04:31 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

ADP,

Yep things are bad, I was contracting for eight years and then worked direct for two years but the last six months I was struggling so Im back in permie dom for the first time in 10 years, luckily one of my good clients needed a technical director and here I am, good luck, with IR35, fast track visas and cheap offshore IT the government have well and truly butt f**ked the IT industry.

Gary
Old 03 March 2003, 05:03 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try this,
Fish4jobs
More and more employers saving money on recruitment by going direct now, so consultants not always the best bet.
Old 03 March 2003, 05:05 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

oops I meant this.....
Old 03 March 2003, 05:12 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

It's certainly bad out there.

If I'd not got a job through a mate, I'd be unemployed now too....
Old 03 March 2003, 05:12 PM
asifR
Scooby Regular

i am in exactly the same situation...........

try some of these......

give
me
a
decent
it
job
please
Old 03 March 2003, 05:37 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

B2Z

You must realise that now the support person must be GOD at everything and anything - yeh right, well thats what it seems like.

Jobs specs seem to be something like:
Desktop Support £15k - Ideally MCSE qualified, CCNA also. Citrix 5 years essential, Office, Unix(SCO,Irix,Solaris, HP all essential), TCP/IP, checkpoint firewall, full hardware knowledge, SQL server, Exchange 5.5 and 2000, expert scripting etc etc.

--------------------------

Its moon on a stick, but the problem is because the market is saturated with candidates they can afford to want the best people for bugger all money.

I reckon its tickets in a barrel, make sure youve got lots in there and youve got more chance of being pulled out.

andy
Old 03 March 2003, 05:52 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to sound smug, I've been waiting for this to happen for a long time now.

As everyone now realises, there is IT oversupply, brought about by years of ****-takingly expensive consultants who charge the earth in return for delivering poor-quality results.

Those who thought that IT was a licence to print money are now realising that there is no such thing. I feel sorry for people on an individual level, but at the same time am amazed that so few people seemed to see it coming.

Regardless of what those in the IT world believe, it's not this governmment or IR35 which have killed the golden goose, simply the fact that you can't buck the market; supply and demand will always level out.

Good luck to those looking. I genuinely hope that you sort yourselves out financially and professionally, but believe that many of you will have to accept a permanent salary reduction, at least until the next boom.

bros
Old 03 March 2003, 06:11 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

B2Z

It's a sod for those in perm jobs who are suddenly seeing themselves under threat because the contractors are now looking for a bit of security, but it's the way life is.

The boom will be back at some point, but if it's in the next two years I'll be amazed. Businesses have a long way to go before they recover their profitability, and so many Finance Directors have been burned through the folie de grandeur they've seen installed that they'll need a lot of convincing before they start contemplating big capital spend on yet another new system.

I know, I was that man with JD Edwards - I spend a year of pain getting the system installed, and it's never workd properly. Has it saved us any money (as originally specced? Nope. Have we managed to reduce headcount through increased efficiency? Again, no. Do we even have better reporting? Well, marginally, but for £2m you'd expect something substantially better.

bros
Old 03 March 2003, 06:45 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for all involved as I've been though the job security hell myself.

Its just supply and demand, nothing else. Thats why a plumber can earn 4 times as much as IT bod.

Our IT guy looks after our 200 PC, 5 server network which has a mixture of NT, 2000, 98, 3.1, unix, Novell, JD Edwards, Minos, SAP and SCADA/CXlogix. Our system is also linked to HQ and other sites. He earns around £25k for a 48 hour week.

Our Electricians and Fitters earn more.
He does however say he would not go anywhere else as he's almost his own boss because no one else has a clue what he does.

Lee
Old 03 March 2003, 07:04 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well Ive never contracted, nor have I ever earned **** takingly large sums of money, especially when I ve seen some ****** in marketing lardee daring around the office doing **** all for 50k a year, just because they have querky chris evans glasses and prefer white whine spritzers to a pint of lager.........

However when I moved jobs last I entered a compay who were paying ex contractors sums like 50-90k just to be a good developer.

I have to say I was staggered that these people were earning this kind of money and wondered how they could possibly justify it, but to them it was the "norm". I was not earning anything like that sum.

It may not surprise you then that this company is all but folded, and quite frankly I hope the directors fall flat on their *****! - there are lots of people out there who need to get with the times.

However as someone who has good A-Levels, a degree from one of the best Universities in the country , 3 years commercial experience and numerous recognised IT qualificiations I am frustrated at struggling to find a job that even pays as much as £25,000.

So should I be looking to take a pay cut? I think not.
Old 03 March 2003, 07:28 PM
cletterridge
Scooby Regular

Ha! Try a career in science for taking the ****. I have a degree in Molecular Biology (1st class hons), a PhD in Molecular Immunology, experience in 8 different labs, am a published first author in several well respected journals - starting salary?

£18,265!

No, I'm not joking, it really is! And three years down the line, only one in twenty people who want to stay in science actually manage to get jobs. Upshot, all that training is for nothing and all that debt is yours for life! Hooray for supply and demand!
Old 03 March 2003, 07:39 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

bravo2zero

you're right the IT market is sh*te.

just to cheer us both up do you fancy having that run out (on the bikes) we talked about before xmas?
Old 03 March 2003, 07:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Any of you do Access databases, Visual Basic stuff? It's not a full time job but I need someone to sort out some of this stuff for me. Mail me for details if interested. My office is in Stevenage.
Old 03 March 2003, 07:57 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why the IT market is dead :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2914299882

[Edited by ChristianR - 3/3/2003 8:14:11 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 08:02 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

b20
will be back on the road on the 10th. i'll mail you the end of the week and we can try and go out early next week
Old 03 March 2003, 08:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

****** in marketing lardee daring around the office doing **** all for 50k a year

ADP, bang on, spent some time at a well known Brewer of Irish Stout, their entire marketing department was staffed by clueless graduate Marketing students with w4nky glasses and an ability to say yah,yah al lot and spout buzzwords all day.

Also HR people p1ss me off, money for old rope, inventing all sorts of ways to make recruiting somebody very complex. How come its "Human Resources" nowadays, it used to be just plain old staff/personnel

Makes me laugh about IT contractors, they had a taste of the good life for a few years and all got really nice cars and developed expensive tastes, now they are going back to what they are worth. I must add that I am an Oracle DBA so can comment and am not a jealous typist.

Old 03 March 2003, 08:38 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Just one more thing, I have to say thank god Im not doing an IT degree at the moment or have just graduated - that would be the biggest kick in the pants.........talk about hopelessness.

The other problem as Christian points out is that every man and his dog thinks he can "do IT". My message to those have ago heroes is **** off back to your supermarket job, this is profession and you cant just blag it from the side of the coco pops packet. Maybe 5 years ago that was ok when demand was high, but when demand is low like now then just forget it. Leave the jobs to the pros like me
Old 04 March 2003, 08:59 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Well, I thought id add my two peneth worth.

At 19, whilst still at uni, I was employed by Unilever. I was part qualified in several different areas. I was on > 27k/y before ot for a basic second line tech support. 27K at 19!!!!. I had so much cash I didnt know what to spend it on, but I did . However, years later, qualified with degree etc, im stuck in a dead end (but ok) sys admin job for a manufacturing firm. Pay now ? £23k. It sucks big time.

I do indeed blame all the fecking "oh lots of money in IT, lets do it". THEY are the people who have done it, especially the mcse "i can read a book but know **** all about real IT, because my trainer says it hard".

Old 04 March 2003, 09:22 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Makes me laugh about IT contractors, they had a taste of the good life for a few years and all got really nice cars and developed expensive tastes, now they are going back to what they are worth. I must add that I am an Oracle DBA so can comment and am not a jealous typist.
Makes me laugh about all the years I was contracting where some permies were bitter about contractors but never had the ***** to do anything about it! I disagree about what they're worth, its like anything there are some worth the money and others just along for the ride.

Gary
Old 04 March 2003, 10:00 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Well if you were along for the ride, and took the cash and have made a mint then bl00dy well done! I tell you, if you can get the money, take the money...........just watch your back and think about the future

Quick Reply: IT job market...............grrrrr