Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Retrospect backup/CDRW Drive (Mac)

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2003, 12:12 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I have just bought Retrospect Backup Express for my Mac and was hoping this would have worked with my external (USB) Iomega CDRW. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my particular drive, and I can't get past the first-line support "it's not on the compatibility list so tough" mentality...

So it seems I'm limited to using Retrospect to create the initial archive file on the local HD. What I now need is a utility to split the archive file over multiple CDRs. Anybody know of a good (reliable) tool to do this on the Mac?

Thanks,
Gareth
Old 14 February 2003, 01:47 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Probakly the full version of Retrospect. Express will allow you to backup onto a hard disk or zip, don't think that USB cd writers are supported.

AllanB
Old 14 February 2003, 02:43 PM
Danger Mouse
Scooby Regular

check this out

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=806 5
Old 14 February 2003, 03:46 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Thanks - Express does support USB CD writers but apparently not mine. Unfortunately Iomega don't seem to acknowledge the existence of my drive either, even though they made it...

Put it like this, the link on the Iomega site that seems to relate to my drive, leads to the description of a different drive altogether (ZipCD), which in turn is listed as compatible on the Dantz site - go figure...

I pretty much accept that my drive won't work with Retrospect, that's why I'm asking if there's anything else out there that would let me split up the archive file reliably...

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 14 February 2003, 04:57 PM
Danger Mouse
Scooby Regular

ok, new product called Personal Backup X 10.1 (http://www.intego.com/personalbackup/home.html). Will work on OS 9 & OS X and recognises and HFS format, so should work with your Iomega drive. Price is £30 + delivery + vat. We've got them coming in on Monday.

Let me know if you're interested.

Mike.