Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DHCP Problem (Mac)

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 08:07 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Bit of a funny one this. I've got my cable router set up as the DHCP server on my home LAN. Had no problems with this setup for all the time I stuck to wired connections... 2 PCs and a Mac (OS 9.2) picking up IP addresses from the router without any issues.

A while back I went wireless to get rid of the big cable running through my house from the router (by the digibox) up to my office. Since then, the Mac has had real problems holding onto an IP address.

If I configure TCP/IP to use the DHCP server it picks up an address and the right settings fairly reliably. However, after a period of time (an hour or so), the IP/gateway/router addresses change to something totally random, and I can't get onto the network using the Mac.

The only way I can get it back is to switch to manual IP settings, and then back to DHCP, whereby it picks up the right settings again.

It's a bit disturbing that this happens since introducing the wireless kit, but I'd be seriously surprised if someone is hacking my network. I'm on a main road with several hundreds of feet of clear air around my house.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 14 February 2003, 06:37 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What DHCP lease period have you set-up on the router?
You may also have to set up a DHCP relay address on your wireless router.....

It's too early to think more than that
Old 14 February 2003, 12:08 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jeff - I'll have to check these settings tonight.

It's odd that everything worked okay when the network was hard-wired, and that even as a wireless LAN the settings work initially but then get lost - but only on the Mac.

Cheers,
Gareth