Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Accessing XP from 2000

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 11:23 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a PC at home on which I run XP. It is connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, and I sometimes connect up the work laptop which runs Win2K to the router to access the www and to exchange files between my home PC & the laptop.

However, I can't access the XP machine from the laptop, even though I can access the laptop from the XP machine. If I access \\LAPTOP\ShareName from the XP machine all is well, if I access \\XPMACHINE\SHARE from the laptop, I get a "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" error message.

Anyone any idea why?

TIA,

Alex
Old 12 February 2003, 12:07 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Fig's right. When you attempt to connect to a remote share, Windows will pass the current username and password to the remote share and use that to authenticate. Fine if you have an NT domain or Active Directory, but with two workgroup PC's it'll coz problems.

As Fig suggested, just create the same username and password that you currently use on the laptop on the XP machine.

Alternatively, you'd need to map a drive from a command prompt using this command

NET USE F: \\XPMACHINE\SHARENAME /USER:XPMACHINE\USER PASSWORD

e.g. NET USE F: \\HOMEPC\DATA /USER:HOMEPC\JBloggs letmein

If you do create a new user, make sure it has permission to the data within the shared folders and the share itself. The default permissions for the sharename is the Everyone group, so that should be taken care of for you.

Stefan
Old 12 February 2003, 01:27 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

The problem is that on the Win 2K machine I log on as DOMAIN\account, and on Win XP I just log on as a workgroup user.

So can I still create an account on the XP machine with the account name used with the domain to log on to the Win 2k laptop, or won't that work?

Can I just set the security policy on the XP machine somehow to allow make it behave like Win2k? By this I mean if I try to connect to the Win 2k laptop from the server I get prompted for an account, I enter account details that are valid for the laptop and I'm on. If I try and connect to the XP machine from the laptop I get refused without the chance to enter any credentials. Can I change this?

Thanks guys,

Alex
Old 12 February 2003, 02:06 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Again, I think this will be taken care of once you have set the XP box to authenticate remote users as themself. At the moment, you are connecting as a "Guest" and are therefore being denied access.

AFAIK, you should be able to create a user on the XP with the acount name you use on the domain - I can't test this theory though so I am guessing.
Old 12 February 2003, 02:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that will work.

As long as the local account on the XP box has the same name and password, it should work.

If it's giving you grief, you'll need to use the NET USE command and specify the domain or computer name as part of the username paramater e.g.

NET USE F: \\HOME-PC\APPS /USER:MYDOMAIN\JBloggs password

OR

NET USE F: \\HOME-PC\APPS /USER:MYPCNAME\JBloggs password

You can add this to a DOS batch file (either with .BAT or a .CMD extension) and run it from the desktop or even the Startup group to make it easier.

Stefan
Old 12 February 2003, 02:39 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Fantastic!

Thanks guys. A very small thing, I know, but it's been driving me mad for months. I added an account on the XP box with the same UN & PWD as the domain account on the laptop, and it's all working...

TVM,

Alex
Old 12 February 2003, 04:28 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Another happy punter

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2003, 11:51 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Create a user account on the XP machine that matches the user name on the laptop?

Oh, and check that remote users are authenticating as themselves, rather than as guests.

[Edited by Fig - 2/12/2003 11:51:42 AM]