Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What are my broadband options

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 03:25 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just count yourself lucky you can actually get something other than a 56k modem !

I bought a new house to find there is no cable and a fibre phone line which is no good for ADSL. Tried to get ISDN and wa told too far from the exchange.

I don't think there should be a data limit, yet another scam being pulled by the telcos, but it is better than a 56k dialup with no limits.

Old 02 October 2003, 02:20 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Now I have to say that im mighty p*ssed off here as I have just bought a new house and checked I could get broadband (NTL) Great thinks me a nice big fat 1 MB pipe. Now look whats happened, NTL limiting peeps to 1 GB a day.

Now I dont usually go 1 GB a day. I do have "peaks" **ahem alt.binaries mutter mutter rhubarb ** but averaged out my daily download is about < 350 MB.

I realise that im well within the cap but its the principle of the thing. So NTL can stuff my £100 a month (tv, phone, cable chans, 1 MB bb internet, extra box) up their ar$e.

Problem is in my new area (CH66) it isn't adsl enabled because BT is operating in cable teritory. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this bad, bad situation.

I used to have cable in my old old house and it was rock solid and fast, and better than adsl in many respects.

Edited: Ive actually worked out the stats (thanks to nilly keeping connection logs) It works out that my daily download, averaged over the last 3 months is 48 MB a day!!! There were 1.4 GB spikes, but you get the idea

[Edited by Stueyb - 2/10/2003 2:55:58 PM]