Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Conecting Digital Camera to PC

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2003, 01:06 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Bought a Konica KD220Z Digital for my wife at christas. Works fine, fairly dinky little thing - the camera that is
Connects to PC using USB cable : piece of pee I thought.
I'm running Win8 on an HP so I install the required USB driver, plug in the camera (to a port that I normally run a printer off) and ... PC dies.
Every time this happens, either the PC hangs totally or I get the blue screen of death. Doesn't seem to matter whether I boot the PC up with camera connected or connect camera with PC already up and running.
Konica service dept say return the camera to them (will do if I have to but I can see the camera being away for weeks on end), today I went back to PC World (bought camera from them) and they connected it to a WinME pc with no problem. They suggest I reload windows (PIA but will do if necessary)

Can anyone suggest where they think the problem might lie ?
Old 25 January 2003, 08:55 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Assume you've got the latest ver of Win98?, and the drivers loaded for Win98 for the camera?

If so I'd upgrade the O/S, better still back everything up and ditch it for a fresh install.

Old 25 January 2003, 09:02 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Do you by any chance have a (USB) Zip drive attached to your PC? Reason I ask is that I had major problems with BSOD and lock ups when trying to install any other USB peripheral whilst I had the Zip drive installed. Even removing the Zip drivers didn't do any good. I spent days fighting with the damn thing then bit the bullet, backed up my boot partition and upgraded - problems all went away and everything worked hunky dory.
Old 25 January 2003, 11:32 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Are you using Win98SE (Second Edition) as this is the minimum you need for proper USB suppport (I think ?)

Also try reducing the number of USB devices you've got connected me and others I know suffer with all sorts of problems with more than 2/3 USB devices connected with 98SE

Cheers

Mark
Old 26 January 2003, 02:09 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies : I'm not at my PC at the mom (at work on night shift ) I'm sure I'm running SE and I've got the appropriate driver loaded off the supplied CD also I've only normally got my printer running of the USB port (my PC has 2 USBs).
Might try reinstalling the USB driver then booting up with the camera plugged in on the port that the printer normally runs on.

Edited to add : what would people recommend I upgrade to ? I'm fairly happy with Win98 and have heard various reasons for not going to XP or ME.

[Edited by andyr - 1/26/2003 2:12:34 AM]
Old 26 January 2003, 11:29 AM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem with a smartmedia reader connected to the usb port when i had the standard win98.
The only way i could get the pics to the pc was to buy a floppy adapter - you insert the smartcard into this then push it into the floppy drive and double click on that drive from "my computer"
sorry i cant help more - unless you want to buy the floppy flashpath adapter :-)