Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL with XP problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2003, 02:00 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had huge problems (like it would not work!) trying to get ADSL to work through a XP machine at home, swopped the modem for a different model and still no joy. In the end completely wiped the HDD, reinstalled XP and ADSL worked 1st time out of the box. I know 2 other people who have had exactly the same problem, has anybody here had the same situation?
If do what did you do?
Cheers
Chris (very happy now but was really pi$$ed off at 5 pm on Friday!)
Old 22 January 2003, 08:57 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris
Apparently this is a known issue with XP. It is caused by the initial installation, when you get the question do you connect via modem or ADSL if you select modem then you are doomed. A fresh installation sorts it because you are likely to then select ADSL so it will work OK. Don't know what happens if you select ADSL and you only have a 56k modem though. Anyway, if you install service pack 1 this should also fix it.

This info has come to me from a guy I know who has gone through the same thing and sorted it through SP1. Another guy I know is experiencing the exact same problem right now, he is reinstalling XP tonight to get it sorted.

[Edited by Ken E - 1/22/2003 8:58:03 AM]