Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DAB Radio - players such a a rip off!

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 12:44 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was me looking for a nice new alarm clock with DAB digital radio - but lo and behold - not one in sight!

Anyone help me out ?

Also why the hell are DAB radio tuners so expensive? Is it me or is this whole pricing thing a rip-off ?

Old 17 January 2003, 09:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Two reasons: high technology and low volume.

DAB tuners have been around for years - it's only in the last 12 months or so that they've become even reasonably affordable. I borrowed a Sony unit from my local hi-fi shop a couple of years ago, and whilst it sounded pretty good, I figured I could buy a lot of CDs for the £600 asking price.

They've come down recently because of the development of cheaper, single chip receiver/demodulator solutions by the semiconductor manufacturers (Texas Instruments spring to mind). This makes the receivers cheaper to manufacture, but the volume still isn't there to drive prices down to truly mass-market levels.

Just give it time - they'll either come crashing down in price, or they'll die out completely. There's an argument that Internet radio, cable, satellite and MP3 swapping might kill off radio completely, except perhaps for mobile (ie. in-car) entertainment.

A.
Old 17 January 2003, 09:59 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmmmm - especially as the much heralded advantages of DAB was the crystal clear clarity of sound due to the high digital bitrate.

Funny that they have now slashed the Bitrate to BELOW FM radio quality to get more stations in the narrow waveband they are allowed to use.

SO You pay 10 times more for a DAB radio, for a worse service than FM.... err Yeah Right!!

Put it like this... I wouldnt buy shares in it! LOL
Old 17 January 2003, 02:06 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - good info. What I suspected.

Sounds like I'm better off with a nice new FM/MW alarm clock. I HAVE to wake up to messrs Brazil and Parry in the morning on TalkSport
Old 17 January 2003, 02:44 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Daz

I have a Pure DRX 701ES DAB tuner in my Hi Fi set up, I have to say it is an absolute fantastic piece of kit and knocks my SACD player into a cocked hat (WTF does that really mean) with regards to sound quality its awesome. The Bass is so punchy and my 4 Missions mop it up for fun, they have never sounded better.

They used to be circa £350 but the latest version is £250, £220 off the net, the best part about it is it upgradable via the net, you just plug it in to your pc via a USB port and download the upgrades when they become available I know you cant guarantee it being future proof but its a great option to have, and refreshing that a manufacturer of Hi Fi equipment should do this rather than letting you shell out £'s in a couple of years time when the next generation comes along.

Any way if you are anything like me I'm not marvelling at the sound quality of my radio alarm clock when it goes off at 04.45, im just wishing I could have more time in bed and cursing my luck that I have to get up!! the background noise is seondary.

I know Pure do a portable version for £99 the "Evoke" but believe me you need some quality speakers and a decent amp to experiance the true quality of DAB and IMHO a portable or Radio Alarm clock version would sound pretty poor in comparison.

Dave