Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Configuration help with Suse Linux 8.1

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 12:07 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

HELP - I've failed at an early hurdle...

I've gone through the installation process and am looking to boot to XWindows. Unfortunately, it looks like I've done a dufus and let the Suse installer configure my display properties with either an unsuitable resolution (which I don't think is the case, as it's OK in Windows) or an unsuitable refresh rate.

I can boot into the console fine with the safe mode, with the default vga settings, but as soon as I try to change the display settings with yast or sax, I lose my screen - looks like Suse tries to apply my incompatible settings somehow.

Any suggestions as to how I can get around this? Are there any config files I can edit manually, or a way of using the installer to reconfigure the display settings?

Cheers,

Den
Old 11 January 2003, 02:55 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Do you have your VGA drivers installed?
SuSE may not always pick up drivers and you will have to intsall them manually.

If you are unsure about working with stuff like this, grab yourself a copy of the RPM from the driver site. This will automate the process for you

$ rpm -ivh your_driver.rpm

The file you are talking about if you want to manually edit it is /etc/X11/XF86Config
Old 11 January 2003, 05:06 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Its easy to understand if you are confident with *nix OS'
My recomendation is to get on the SuSE mailing list. The best for general problems is suse-linux-e@suse.com

With regards to SaX, it all comes down to understanding what hardware you have and how to configure it correctly.

Be sure not to have the 'merge' section checked.
Old 11 January 2003, 09:26 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got it all sorted, thanks.

Been running YOU to update the system up until now and just having a play with things.

I see there's an import utility for kmail that imports Outlook Express emails - do you know of any Linux mail client/tool that will allow me to import everything from my Outlook 2000 pst files?

Den
Old 01 November 2003, 03:14 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Gedi -

Yes, I do have the drivers for my card installed (albeit without 3D hardware acceleration, I need to get SUSE You up and running to get new ones apparently).

The problem is that in YAST, for example, when I select the option to change my graphics card and monitor settings, YAST attempts to apply the current settings when I select 'change'. Booting in safe mode and going in via Sax2 does the same thing, as does choosing text only in YAST.

I've been looking on the Suse website and found this knowledgebase article: http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/wessels_sax247.html that says how to force Sax to start in VGA mode, so I'm going to print that off at work on Monday and try it.

I'll take a look at that file you mention and see if it's easy to understand.

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 1/11/2003 3:15:15 PM]