Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 98 and USB

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 05:07 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one of those boards and had similar problems. I junked it because I got fed up with it... My friend had it off me and used 98se no problem with loads of USB devices... thi only thing really different is the pose supply and the memory brand.... not much help am I !!
Old 11 January 2003, 05:24 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right - all these boards are just a chip (NEC in this case) plus a few connectors. I think the issue in my case is a driver conflict between the VIA and NEC USB drivers - not surprising at all, really, but annoying nevertheless.

I can't help but feel that the easiest fix would be just to get another identical USB 2.0 card and disable all the USB 1.1 ports completely by uninstalling the drivers. A botch, certainly, but much cheaper than haemorrhaging money into Microsoft's coffers for a copy of XP just to fix bugs that '98 should never have had.

A.
Old 01 November 2003, 04:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Question

I have a PC with an ABit KT7 motherboard and Windows 98 (1st edition).

The motherboard has 4 USB 1.1 ports; three of these are occupied by my printer, digital camera and Image Tank. The fourth has a hub attached, to which are connected a scanner and mouse. All this stuff worked just fine until yesterday.

Yesterday I installed a 4 port USB 2.0 card and Archos FM Recorder MP3 jukebox. Despite the card and jukebox both stating Windows 98SE as a minimum requirement, they both worked fine 1st time.

Today I discovered that the printer and Image Tank don't work any more - they connect to the second root hub on the m/b. Although they're detected OK, any attempt to access them crashes the PC. I spent a few happy hours this afternoon reinstalling drivers, but only succeeded in preventing Windows from booting at all. I'm now at least relieved to be back where I started, with the latest 4-in-1 drivers installed.

As a workaround I've attached the printer and Image Tank to the new USB 2.0 card, and everything now seems reasonably OK again - but it's a shame to waste these ports on devices that aren't USB 2.0 capable.

Any suggestions as to what's causing the conflict and what I might be able to do to fix it and get my dead USB 1.1 ports back?

Cheers
Andy.

[Edited by AndyC_772 - 1/11/2003 4:35:52 PM]
Old 01 November 2003, 04:53 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Andy -

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but I've got an Abit KT7A motherboard too and have also suffered at the hands of the VIA drivers..

You might find some hints or the answer to your questions at http://forums.viaarena.com/

HTH

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 1/11/2003 4:54:44 PM]