Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Who here plays CS?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 11:53 AM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never played but want to get into it, any suggestions?
Old 07 January 2003, 12:02 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Well you're gonna need a copy of half-life for one, then get the latest update, which is around 88Mb, then download CS from counter-strike.net, get the full version, there are 2 retail, and something else, it doesn't matter which as you haven't had it before, that's about 120Mb or so.

If you're running XP after you install HL do all the updates, as it comes up with an error straight away saying it cannot find the CD, which seems to be an XP thing.

Then get on-line and play, I tend to use gamespy, so you can set favourites etc, and the UK2 servers have about 20-30 rooms for beginners, which gives you a fighting chance.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:02 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

noob.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:08 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

Ok Ducati that sounds good, any tips you can give me game play wise?
Old 07 January 2003, 12:09 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

Whats a n00b?
Old 07 January 2003, 12:25 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Take no notice Ghostdog, a n00b is someone who is new and doesn't have a clue.

Get yourself over to www.cshq.co.uk\bbs they are a cool bunch of guys, well most of them, they should be able to help you out.

Game play tips are not to rush in but to hang about ar the rear so to speak then go in and get some easy kills when the head strong n00bs have all died......you know the kind of people...."Yeah baby lets...uuuurrrrgggghhhhhhh"
Old 07 January 2003, 12:33 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

Ok RB170 I have taken that on board, I guess I am a n00b!
Old 07 January 2003, 12:36 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

I have tried to sign up on that bbs but someone is already called Ghostdog!!!
Old 07 January 2003, 12:44 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

OK try a different name then, how about Ghostpetwith4legsthatbarks or Sprirtpuppy or EtherialK9

Or you could sign up as Ghosty
Old 07 January 2003, 12:45 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

lol who is Ghostdog on that bbs anyhow? Tell him he is a n00b
Old 07 January 2003, 12:54 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I have but for some reason he doesn't believe me.
Old 07 January 2003, 02:48 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Ghostdog, Can I assume you have broadband then ?, and a copy of half-life.....

By tonight you could/should be playing!!!

If you register with gamespy (takes about 10 minutes), when you open gamespy, you'll see all your installed games on the left, and how many people are currently playing them, click half-life, and that will take you to the HL lobby, go into the HL room, and a list of current servers will be shown, there is a tick box which will list servers in your country only, which will speed things up a bit (still 400+), and then find the UK2 ones. A word of warning though once you have something like 10/12 kills in a round, you run the risk of getting banned from that server, as it's for beginners, and if you can rack up that many kills, it deems you not to be a beginner, easy thing to do is keep a track of your kills, and leave the room, and rejoin as and when you get near the trigger point !

The other thing you'll find is that in some rooms, you'll get your **** kicked, and in others it'll be easy pickings, just depends on who's in the rooms I guess. And try both terrorists and counter-terrorists, as they have different roles, and weapons, personally I like the counter-terrorists, for the weapons.

If you already play FPS games, HL, Quake 3, UT2003 it won't take you long to get to grips with it. Just remember it's team play, not a free for all, and there are directives, to either plant/disarm a bomb, or capture/rescue some hostages.

Another this you can try is to get Realbot which is a bot add on for CS, and you can play against them for a while until you feel comfortable trying it on-line, I don't see why to be honest, but it's gives you time to get used to the maps and weapons I guess.

You'll have to let us/me know how you go on, maybe we could have a game or two, I'm pretty new at it to to be honest, so I'm learning the ropes!!
Old 07 January 2003, 03:23 PM
fastmoverP1AH
Scooby Regular

i must say i am a ct fan always play as SAS skin why not they are the best. the m4 is also a great weapon and the silencer looks sexy. also some beginner rooms have speed traps. if you kill too many people too quickly your won id will be banned for that server. though there are ways around that speak to black knight at www.slipstream-uk.org he has numerous little programs that are cool with cs. downloading cheating death is also a must as will allow you access to certain servers. these are also good as stops people cheating which i must say is rife in cs. any room that has clans in it i.e people with similar names i.e. -=RaMPenT=- monkey etc are rooms of death for n00bs and if you get good enough you may even be invited into a clan. fear is a really good server may see you in there good hunting.
Old 07 January 2003, 03:37 PM
Ghostdog
Scooby Regular

What is the IP of the fear server, what "TAG" (I think that is right) do you use?

Ducati thanks for the tips yes I have got Half life and a 2MB ADSL connection. Where do you play and under what "TAG"
Old 07 January 2003, 04:02 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Currently I'm mainly playing the UK2 servers, seem pretty quick, and the beginners ones are good to get me "warmed" up. I go under the TAG of "Ol' Painless" - as in the minigun from predator!!! or within gamespy I'm down as "corseboy" - more ducati references there!!