Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sharing NTL broadband

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 09:37 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This has probably been covered before but can anyone help with this.

I have NTL broadband connected to my PC via their cable modem and ethernet. I am getting a lappy and I want to be able to do the following:
1 connect to the internet via broadband
2 have file and print sharing with my PC
3 do the above using wireless not have miles of cat5 around the house

How can I do all this? I have seen cable routers (Netgear MR314 for example) but will this just allow access to the internet? I also have a faint bell ringing about NTL not wanting/allowing shared internet connections. Is this true? If it is, is there a work round?

Ta muchly

Mark
Old 06 January 2003, 10:20 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

marker....I use a netgear router and have 4 PC's all connected to the service. NTL will only support 1 PC (that is the one they connected too). Get the router to clone the mac addy of your computer. Then connect the other PC (s) to the router and they will all connect to the broadband w/o any hassle and can access the internet at any time either all at same time or individually at same time. As far as file sharing etc is concerned just set this up following your on screen instructions.

A word of warning...make sure each PC has a good personal firewall.

Have fun.
Old 06 January 2003, 10:23 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that. NTL are not as restricitive as I thought

Mark
Is it easy to reconfigure the router's MAC address?

[Edited by markr1963 - 1/6/2003 10:26:57 AM]

[Edited by markr1963 - 1/6/2003 10:28:14 AM]
Old 06 January 2003, 10:50 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

This includes the use of wireless or non-wireless networking technology to connect your PC or any other PC to your Broadband Services from outside your home or the connection of your PC to anyone else's Broadband Services.
If you have a wireless LAN there's no way you can restrict it to 'within your home' (does the garden count?). NTL couldn't tell anyway unless they did some wardriving past your house. And what's this 'no more than 3 PCs' -- how do they know?

I guess the restrictions are to stop you (1) sharing your broadband connexion with the whole street and (2) stop you connecting a corporate LAN to something marketed as a 'home' service.
Old 06 January 2003, 12:57 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dead easy to clone the mac addy. Some broadband providers like telewest allow you register 5 seperate mac's.
Old 06 January 2003, 01:06 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Fig

Have gone for a Netgear MR314 Cable/ADSL Wireless Router. Should do what the FM114P does plus cat5 connection to my PC apart from the print server.

Mark
Old 06 January 2003, 03:13 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

@ Fig

I remembered. One MA401 wireless card ordered too!
Old 06 January 2003, 03:27 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Get one for the next door neighbours too then you can split the cost of the connection 3 ways. Gosh did I say that? Please delete this post at once.
Old 01 June 2003, 09:55 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Wink

This is an extract from thieir user policy

The residential broadband internet service ("Broadband Services") is designed for connection to a single PC. If you connect more than one PC at any one time to the Broadband Service you agree that this shall be entirely at your own risk. ntl will not support your PC's, the network used, or their configuration and technical support shall remain limited to your Internet connection only.

You must not connect more than three (3) PC's to the Broadband Services at any one time.

You are permitted to use routers, and the connection of a dedicated hardware router or firewall shall not be considered a PC for the purposes of this section.

In connecting to the Broadband Service, you must only use a PC you own or lease, and you must not attempt to connect your PC to the Broadband Services from outside your home. This includes the use of wireless or non-wireless networking technology to connect your PC or any other PC to your Broadband Services from outside your home or the connection of your PC to anyone else's Broadband Services.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 1/6/2003 9:56:07 AM]
Old 01 June 2003, 12:31 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

markr - most routers (well Netgear ones anyway) have an option to clone the MAC address on any of the PCs connected to it - you just tell it which one to use.

Alternately, NTL Cable Modems now accept a minimum of two MAC addresses anyway, so just unplug the routers WAN port into the CM, cycle power on the CM and it should pick up the routers MAC address.

As for your wireless setup, I've got a Netgear FM114P combined router and Wireless Access Point which does what you're looking for.

Edit:

As the router uses NAT, it works as a hardware firewall too, blocking unwanted intrusions.

[Edited by Fig - 1/6/2003 12:32:30 PM]
Old 01 June 2003, 02:26 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

That's true - I'm not actually using the print server, but seeing as the FM114P was on offer at the time, I got it for less than the price of the MR114.

Daft reminder: don't forget the wireless LAN card for the laptop. not usually supplied with the router.

[Edited by Fig - 1/6/2003 2:27:43 PM]