Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Calling all computer eggheads!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2002, 11:07 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I am building my own system at the moment. My motherboard is a ASUS A7V333 which has various "jumpers", most I will be leaving on the default setting. There is also a series of 6 Dip switches which I can use to set the "external frequency" of the CPU. My CPU is a AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.67GHz). My question is does anybody know the "external frequency" of this CPU? I have a sneaking suspicion it may be 133MHz, but its just a guesstimate. If I were to leave the switches at the default setting would the BIOS learn the "external frequency" and then set it itself?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 21 December 2002, 11:22 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Unless you know what you are doing, and wanting to tweak the system, leave the jumpers in the default (off) position. The mobo will identify your processor automatically.

Old 21 December 2002, 11:22 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Craig, you should be able to leave the motherboard jumpers at the auto setting and let the bios detect the speed quite successfully. Of course once it has done this you can always tweak the settings higher (in the bios) to gain that extra bit of performance . Careful you don't go too far and overcook things (literally). Usual disclaimer about doing this at your own risk, no liability on me etc.
Old 21 December 2002, 01:58 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys guys,

I have no intention of tweaking my system, I just wanted to match everything up. I'm happy that the BIOS will recognise the CPU "external frequency".

Thanks again,

Craig.